Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Chatting with a pipe smoking friend on the phone the other day (he lives about 100 miles away) I mentioned I had been looking for anything good in new (new to me that is) English blends. I have been seeking a stout latakia blend that is mellow as oppoded to sharp with that smokey latakia flavor.

Now, this friend has a large collecton of tabaccos and is constantly trying new stuff, so a few days later a surprise package arrived from him with 5 sample bags of blends. They were: Aston Artisan, Peretti Omega, Peretti Royal, Wilke's 436 and Boswell Railroad Station.

Over the last few days I smoked a couple bowls of each blend always using an Enlish only fresh Castello pipe. I kept a brief note of what I thought of each (please don't ask for a detailed analysys) and gave them a one to five rating, five being the highest. In a nutshell this is the result. Remember, this is only one man's opinion, you might have scored differently. I rated them all a two or three. All are smokeable, but none were anything to write home about. I thought they were all stingy with the Latakia and none had that mellow smokiness I like.

In keeping with my philosophy of never throwing away a tobacco I decided to try an experiment so I mixed all 5 together and let it set for a day, then I smoked some. I'll be damned if the concoction doesn't smoke BETTER that any one of them. Go figure! puffy

Last edited:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Haven't smoked any of the Artisan with Cyprian Latakia, as opposed to Syrian. Used to like it a lot with the Syrian. Still got 1 tin left.

Reactions: dunnyboy

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Chatting with a pipe smoking friend on the phone the other day (he lives about 100 miles away) I mentioned I had been looking for anything good in new (new to me that is) English blends. I have been seeking a stout latakia blend that is mellow as oppoded to sharp with that smokey latakia flavor.

Now, this friend has a large collecton of tabaccos and is constantly trying new stuff, so a few days later a surprise package arrived from him with 5 sample bags of blends. They were: Aston Artisan, Peretti Omega, Peretti Royal, Wilke's 436 and Boswell Railroad Station.

Over the last few days I smoked a couple bowls of each blend always using an Enlish only fresh Castello pipe. I kept a brief note of what I thought of each (please don't ask for a detailed analysys) and gave them a one to five rating, five being the highest. In a nutshell this is the result. Remember, this is only one man's opinion, you might have scored differently. I rated them all a two or three. All are smokeable, but none were anything to write home about. I thought they were all stingy with the Latakia and none had that mellow smokiness I like.

In keeping with my philosophy of never throwing away a tobacco I decided to try an experiment so I mixed all 5 together and let it set for a day, then I smoked some. I'll be damned if the concoction doesn't smoke BETTER that any one of them. Go figure! puffy
Interesting report. This is first post I've read on this forum that is an antidote to TAD! Thanks!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
So was this an “all in“ endeavor or one smokes worth. Or in other words, did you take a small, equal sample of all five or did you just dump all the tobacco you received from your friend in one container and call it good?
Either way sounds like you have a new mixture that you’re enjoying thoroughly and that’s awesome! Enjoy.

Reactions: jpmcwjr