PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownbilliard

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2012
Solani's Aged Burley Flake. I've only been smoking a pipe seriously for a few months, but I can tell that this burley flake is in a league all of its own. I was immediately attracted to burleys as soon as I tried Peretti's BPC and 333. I loved the nutty taste, which for me is reminiscent of toasted hazelnuts and almonds. Solani's ABF is a completely different story:
I went in to Peretti's to buy the tin and my god was it expensive. $17.75 for 50g!? I figured it had to be good for the price, not to mention the coveted 5 star rating on tabaccoreviews.
I take it home, open the tin and I am immediately struck by how gorgeous and uniformly shaped the flakes are. Beautiful mosaics of dark burley that smell like sweetened dried fruit, expertly cut so each one fits perfectly into a generic sized bowl. The tin reminds me of a package of thick-cut hickory smoked bacon.
I roll up a flake, pack it and bring down the flaming match. My palate is immediately overwhelmed by multiple layers of sweet,clove-like flavors. One of the first adjectives that came to mind while smoking my first bowl was "rich". This stuff is rich like a chocolate torte. The smoke is creamy, spicy and sweet with a heavy dose of vitamin N. Definitely not an all day smoke.
Is there a better burley out there then this? If you've tried it and you think there is, for the love of god please let me know. I greedily smoke every bowl down to the very last ember. I have not had that experience with any other tobacco.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Solani Burley Flake is wonderful stuff, but it's so pricey, I only buy it occasionally. I'm down to my last flake at the moment. I believe Wigenroth's sells it for $16, so your price seems ballpark (he also has a buy 4 get 5 tins deal that is tough to beat).

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
It's great stuff! Another nice, high-end burley is Cornell and Diehl's Burley Flake #2.

danno

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2011
Good stuff! Definitely the highest quality. I also add it to blends for body. Learned that from Russ at P&C.

Status
Not open for further replies.