PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
An interesting take on the traditional fruitcake -

As you know in the antipodes, Christmas come around in summer, and it can be very hot at this time of the year.

Many years ago I had Christmas dinner at a friend's house. His mother served up a COLD (from the fridge) Christmas Pudding made with sago pearls (and brandied fruit and peel) with a COLD custard. Blood delicious !

I did get the recipe from her, but it is lost in the bowels of my wife's recipe
collection. And no, she has never attempted that recipe. Too foreign to her Celtic roots. !

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
I honestly don't know that I've ever had it. The ageing a cake idea sounds intriguing, and although I'm pretty solid in the DIY camp, I think I'd probably end up flirting with botulism if I tried it. I'll have to see if there are any places around Houston with good fruitcake reviews.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
One secret to delicious fruitcake - homemade is best, but if that’s not in the cards buy a good one. Then fortify it with bourbon or rum. Makes a Huge difference in taste.

Reactions: PeterPipersPizza
Mar 1, 2014
Most fruit cakes taste like soggy raisins or orange peel, but I presume the "Pudding" traditionally made in the U.K. is very different from the imitations sold at retail across the pond.