Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dec 6, 2019
Dixieland
I've been on my semi annual cigar kick. Every time the season changes I fall in love with cigars again... Big time. It's a blast. Usually this last a month or so, and just as fast as the fling came on, it disappears.

This time I'm on the hunt for a nostalgic aroma, present in some cigars.

When I was a kid my dads best friend, and my godfather (R.I.P), always had a cigar going. A big, mild, probably Dominican cigar. A La Whatever, or Don somebody... Haha, Something Gold, you know the kind.

He was a real old school pimp... Shiny shoes, suspenders, pinky ring, the whole nine yards. He was a great guy too.

I loved the smell of those cigars and the boxes they came in. I believe that the smell of those cigars sparked the blazing flame that is my love for tobacco, of all forms. Nobody remembers what kind of cigar they were... My dad said he just remembers that they stunk. My old man smoked cigarettes, but he never loved tobacco like some of us do.

When I smoke some mild cigars I smell this aroma. Seems like maybe it's more common in the cigars from The Dominican Republic. Maybe present in many cubans, but I've only smoked a few of those.

This particular flavor is missing from many stronger and complex cigars, or at least I can't pick it up.

Musty, dusty, sweet, maybe even fresh would describe the scent. Could be moss?

I realize that most things involving taste are subjective, but I believe this can be nailed down.

How do I find cigars with this flavor/aroma?

What do I call it?

• Love
Reactions: MattRVA and JOHN72

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I have the same nostalgia and angst over a beer I enjoyed in Frankfurt, Germany. I can still taste it but have never come close to realizing what I was drinking. I was stationed there and it was the house beer of a place in the city that I enjoyed for more than a year. Henninger is the local beer and can be found in the US, but no. Not close.

As for cigars… I used to enjoy a mild, creamy, easy smoking Dominican called, Don Diego’s maybe 35-40 years ago. I’m gonna hunt those down. In my 20’s there was a drug store cigar called, Black Arrows, which at the time tasted like banana bread to me. I can still taste these in my memory.

But I fear that even if I sampled either of the above today, just as they were then… it wouldn’t be the same. That’s the power of memories.

Good luck hunting that down.

• Love
Reactions: OzPiper

JoeW

Can't Leave
Apr 1, 2024
Upper Peninsula, Michigan, USA
The first time I encountered what I identified as "musty" was in a Nub Cameroon; it seemed a strange note for a cigar, and I doubted my own senses, until I read a review that used the same word. I've had plenty of other Cameroon-wrapped cigars without that particular note.

The only other cigar I noted as "musty" was The Griffin's, which was one of the most disappointing cigars I've had.

Personally, I find that nostalgic cigar aroma in Arturo Fuente Curly Heads. Admittedly, I spent almost zero time around cigar smokers when I was young, but if I had, that's what I'd like the aroma to have been.

Roach1

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 25, 2023
Germany
I have the same nostalgia and angst over a beer I enjoyed in Frankfurt, Germany. I can still taste it but have never come close to realizing what I was drinking. I was stationed there and it was the house beer of a place in the city that I enjoyed for more than a year. Henninger is the local beer and can be found in the US, but no. Not close.

As for cigars… I used to enjoy a mild, creamy, easy smoking Dominican called, Don Diego’s maybe 35-40 years ago. I’m gonna hunt those down. In my 20’s there was a drug store cigar called, Black Arrows, which at the time tasted like banana bread to me. I can still taste these in my memory.

But I fear that even if I sampled either of the above today, just as they were then… it wouldn’t be the same. That’s the power of memories.

Good luck hunting that down.
Bindig?

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
I've been on my semi annual cigar kick. Every time the season changes I fall in love with cigars again... Big time. It's a blast. Usually this last a month or so, and just as fast as the fling came on, it disappears.

This time I'm on the hunt for a nostalgic aroma, present in some cigars.

When I was a kid my dads best friend, and my godfather (R.I.P), always had a cigar going. A big, mild, probably Dominican cigar. A La Whatever, or Don somebody... Haha, Something Gold, you know the kind.

He was a real old school pimp... Shiny shoes, suspenders, pinky ring, the whole nine yards. He was a great guy too.

I loved the smell of those cigars and the boxes they came in. I believe that the smell of those cigars sparked the blazing flame that is my love for tobacco, of all forms. Nobody remembers what kind of cigar they were... My dad said he just remembers that they stunk. My old man smoked cigarettes, but he never loved tobacco like some of us do.

When I smoke some mild cigars I smell this aroma. Seems like maybe it's more common in the cigars from The Dominican Republic. Maybe present in many cubans, but I've only smoked a few of those.

This particular flavor is missing from many stronger and complex cigars, or at least I can't pick it up.

Musty, dusty, sweet, maybe even fresh would describe the scent. Could be moss?

I realize that most things involving taste are subjective, but I believe this can be nailed down.

How do I find cigars with this flavor/aroma?

What do I call it?

What you describe sounds like what I like about Dominican Olor and Piloto Cubano tobacco. Butera Royal Vintage and Ashton Cabinet spring to mind. It all comes down to the quality of the tobacco and not necessarily how mild it is. The Butera uses some Indonesian tobacco, which elevates a Connecticut wrapped Dominican, IMO. I don't know who else is using Indonesian tobacco these days. The Ashton Cabinet is made by Fuente - the wrappers are much better than your typical Connecticut.

Let us know if you find something that rings the bell for you - we could maybe make further recommendations