Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
Title edited for caps. Please put your location in your profile! And what clan??
Moved to General Pipe Smoking Discussion.

Hi

Does anyone in the U.K. have experience of tax on tobacco coming in from the States? I’m sure I’ll get taxed but wondered roughly how much.

Cheers
Niall

Last edited by a moderator:
I think more details are needed. Are you wanting to ship to the UK or bring some in while traveling? Either way I have no idea and I am not sure it is even legal to ship tobacco from USA to UK and you should likely contact appropriate authorities in that regard. - Also this is not the right category for the question.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
I've imported from the US many times and the tax can be quite high. Import duties add up and they even tax you on the p&p plus there's an £8 fee you have to pay Royal Mail for handling the package this end.

Looking at tobaccocellar.com I can see it averages out to about £23 a tin once you include all the taxes, duties, p&p and Royal Mail handling fee. This was 3 or 4 years ago, tho.

Reactions: Toast

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
I think more details are needed. Are you wanting to ship to the UK or bring some in while traveling? Either way I have no idea and I am not sure it is even legal to ship tobacco from USA to UK and you should likely contact appropriate authorities in that regard. - Also this is not the right category for the question.
Buying from the U.K. from supplier. UPS delivery.

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
I've imported from the US many times and the tax can be quite high. Import duties add up and they even tax you on the p&p plus there's an £8 fee you have to pay Royal Mail for handling the package this end.

Looking at tobaccocellar.com I can see it averages out to about £23 a tin once you include all the taxes, duties, p&p and Royal Mail handling fee. This was 3 or 4 years ago, tho.
Thanks Chris. So that’s about the same price as the U.K. but it means I can get some of the blends that we can’t get here.

Reactions: Stompthroat

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
Which category should it be please for future ref.

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
Title edited for caps. Please put your location in your profile! And what clan??
Moved to General Pipe Smoking Discussion.

Hi

Does anyone in the U.K. have experience of tax on tobacco coming in from the States? I’m sure I’ll get taxed but wondered roughly how much.

Cheers
Niall
Location added.

Reactions: jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Thanks Chris. So that’s about the same price as the U.K. but it means I can get some of the blends that we can’t get here.
Yeah, like I said, those prices are a few years old so bare that in mind. The cost is bound to be a bit more these days.

When I bought from America it worked out to about £8 more a tin when compared to tobacco bought in the UK. I was happy to pay this to get blends that are unavailable in the UK. I used smokingpipes.com many times and never had a problem.

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
Yeah, like I said, those prices are a few years old so bare that in mind. The cost is bound to be a bit more these days.

When I bought from America it worked out to about £8 more a tin when compared to tobacco bought in the UK. I was happy to pay this to get blends that are unavailable in the UK. I used smokingpipes.com many times and never had a problem.
Cool. That’s where this is coming from. Good site.

Reactions: smudgersmissingleg

LiamClanNastey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
England
Would be interested to read a comment from yourself here once you have taken receipt on the cost and experience as I have had the same thought a number of times. The US seems to have so many great blends unavailable to us in the UK.
1st order was taken. Then got an email a day later saying sorry, made a mistake. Now it’s out of stock. I’ll wait…

• Sad
Reactions: Highlandpiper