New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Severe case of tongue bite. Too much testing of my own mixes and new tobaccos, not to say breaking in of a couple of stubborn pipes that have pre-carbonized bowls.

Hate these things. The colloidal fluid that they infuse the carbon particles into to hold the whole insert together has a taste reminiscent of the break in process involved in Meerschaum. I can do without it.

Going to switch to a cigar or two for the next three days. Much easier on the tongue, I find.

And it's going to be tough, as the Balkan Oriental Leaf I've been waiting for, just arrived a few minutes ago. :cry:

khiddy

Lurker
Is it possible that some of your blends are ending up out of balance in regards to alkalinity/acidity? I was reading the blending book linked in another thread on the forum, and the author has a whole section on tongue bite (on page 14), explaining that it is partially attributed to the tobacco's pH, which can be adjusted with specific tobacco additions (e.g., perique's alkalinity can offset the acidity of Virginias).

Link to the blending PDF here: https://www.bettercodger.com/images/Blend Your Own_FREE.pdf

• Love
Reactions: dingdong and gord

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Is it possible that some of your blends are ending up out of balance in regards to alkalinity/acidity? I was reading the blending book linked in another thread on the forum, and the author has a whole section on tongue bite (on page 14), explaining that it is partially attributed to the tobacco's pH, which can be adjusted with specific tobacco additions (e.g., perique's alkalinity can offset the acidity of Virginias).

Link to the blending PDF here: https://www.bettercodger.com/images/Blend Your Own_FREE.pdf
Thanks for that enclosure.

Anything is a possibility, but in my case, i think 8-10 pipes a day for the above stated reasons, for a period of over a week) is more likely.

I'm actually fairly knowledgeable in niche areas of bio-chemistry (before going into music I seriously considered this field because of my interest in fisheries and adapting of non-native species in a farm pond environment for sustainable protein sources; as I've mentioned before, I'm an academic, with a strong inclination for experimentation and archiving).

As well, the taste experiences have been consistent - no variation experienced within each blend, and I have an excellent smoking buddy who gave his opinions that matched mine (and I made sure, as much as possible, that he made his opinions known before mine.) Mike is an expert chef (that's his hobby, his avocation is an electronics expert; he has his own company specializing in audio repairs and in the restoration of analog audio equipment. He has a highly developed sense of taste far more subtle than mine.)

When dealing with variables, yes, anything is possible but the patterns have been consistent and recognizable.

Again, thanks for that enclosure/pdf. It has been downloaded, will be filed, archived in various files and cross referenced.

No, I'm not autistic, ADD, or any other type of newly invented psycho-babblistic malady. I'm just a curious and methodical academic who used to drive my mother nuts, God rest her soul. She was also a trained cook who wrote many food columns for the Vancouver Sun back in the '50s, and fanatical about consistent procedure and repeatable results. So I figure I come by it honestly :ROFLMAO:

I'm not really interested in pursuing this aspect of pipe smoking too far, by the way. Just want to duplicate at least somewhat closely, three favourite tobaccos that are no longer available to protect and augment the few ounces of each that I have.

Last edited:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Thanks for that enclosure.

Anything is a possibility, but in my case, i think 8-10 pipes a day for the above stated reasons, for a period of over a week) is more likely.
Sounds more like tongue burn than tongue bite.

I find I have to pace myself at pipe club meetings for this reason. I found if I smoke five or six bowls (actually about half bowls) in a 3 hour period I sometimes irritate my tongue.

gord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Remove those bowl coatings! Most taste bad. Some less than others but I wipe or sand them out...at least where I can easily reach.
Man, do you give me a lot of welcome information! Thanks!!!

Up to this point, I've just smoked them until a substantial layer of real carbon has been built up, I'm glad that there is a more drastic and permanent solution and am going to try it on an expendable pipe. Unfortunately, even the biggies like Brigham, Peterson and Savinelli put this crap in their pipes now. All about marketing I suppose.