PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

CJR

Lurker
Aug 2, 2023
hello.
just started smoking a pipe in the last month. have landed on Captain Black Royal. Mostly out of default as it is all the shop I went to sell. I like the Royal more than the regular as it's more of a mellow buzz I have found. I would like to get something similar and support a smaller business. Not sure where to start. any suggestions would be great. thx

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
Welcome from Virginia
Some places to browse:
Watch City Cigar
Wilke Pipe Tobacco
Boswell Pipes
Also I’ve heard the new Captain Black Platinum is smooth.

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
Welcome from your home state of California. There are no longer many local tobacconists in LA that cater to pipe smokers, unfortunately. The Cigar Warehouse in Sherman Oaks used to have a decent selection of pipe tobaccos and pipes; although I haven’t been there in several years since it changed hands.

Last edited:

Brew&Briar

(Urban Briar)
Jan 3, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
Greetings from Los Angeles!
There is a nice shop in Culver City - tobaccotraderla.com
Stop by there if you want to support a local shop and they can help you find something to try!

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Welcome from Texas. Some years back, when I made a similar inquiry at Georgetown Tobacco in Wash., D. C.--they kindly advised me to also check online at SmokingPipes.com. I understand the appeal of a local small store. But I also suggest you check out Smokingpipes.com. You will be amazed--I'm sure. The suggestions made by @MattRVA above are very nice also--but don't compare with the options IMO that Smokingpipes (US) provides with pipe and tobacco selections and their various "finder" options. BTW--added the @ sign to MattRVA as a fellow member so that he may get a notification that I referenced him here (as a courtesy--not a requirement).

Welcome aboard and do enjoy! Happy puffing as you fall down this rabbit hole!!!
warm regards
mike

Reactions: MattRVA