PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
First time trying, after reading mixed reviews online. Most of the naysayers seemed to have reviewed many years ago on tobaccoreviews.com and I must say, for me it was an entirely enjoyable, caramel cream- smoke on the porch on a quiet night great experience.

The tin was packed in July 2019, and staining was evident on the packing paper. Tin note was pleasant but more muted than I personally expected. The taste was consistent and straight forward throughout the bowl of a caramel cream with cool smoke. Even pushing the pace towards the bottom, no bite was noted. I had dried the tobacco a few hours before smoking and there was no gurgle or excessive wetness in the pipe. Everything burned well to a gray dottle with one relight.

Hope your experience is as positive as mine.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I tried a few bowls earlier this year. Thought it was alright, but just alright; didn't knock my socks off, and it seemed redundant to two bulk Lane blends I stocked up on last year, LL-7 and RLP-6. I ended up putting it in mylar and trading it away along with a couple Peterson aros I found to be lackluster, Sunset Breeze (tasted like air) and Nutty Cut (which I now call Slutty C**t). I did, however, hold on to Connoisseur's Choice and Irish Oak/Cask, lest anyone call me an aro basher. Not a Peterson basher either; in fact, quite the opposite. Univ. Flake is probably my #1 VaBur.

But hey, that's just my experience. Glad you enjoyed yours! ?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I tried a few bowls earlier this year. Thought it was alright, but just alright; didn't knock my socks off, and it seemed redundant to two bulk Lane blends I stocked up on last year, LL-7 and RLP-6. I ended up putting it in mylar and trading it away along with a couple Peterson aros I found to be lackluster, Sunset Breeze (tasted like air) and Nutty Cut (which I now call Slutty C**t). I did, however, hold on to Connoisseur's Choice and Irish Oak/Cask, lest anyone call me an aro basher. Not a Peterson basher either; in fact, quite the opposite. Univ. Flake is probably my #1 VaBur.

But hey, that's just my experience. Glad you enjoyed yours! ?
sunset breeze needs to be dried before it's not a bite monster. That really tasted like air????? Weird

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
sunset breeze needs to be dried before it's not a bite monster. That really tasted like air????? Weird
Yeah, I was surprised too after reading the reviews. I give my aros extra dry time, this one was no exception. I got the amaretto taste everyone was talking about, but it was way in the background. Sweet Kilarney was my favorite of the ones I ended up trading away. Much more toned down than Sunset Breeze, and you'd have to puff like a mad man to even get a hint of tongue bite.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yeah, I was surprised too after reading the reviews. I give my aros extra dry time, this one was no exception. I got the amaretto taste everyone was talking about, but it was way in the background. Sweet Kilarney was my favorite of the ones I ended up trading away. Much more toned down than Sunset Breeze, and you'd have to puff like a mad man to even get a hint of tongue bite.
sunset breeze was like a club made out of amaretto to me. In fact I wish it was toned down. Maybe it's a batch variation thing.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
sunset breeze was like a club made out of amaretto to me. In fact I wish it was toned down. Maybe it's a batch variation thing.
I think you just helped me solve the mystery of the weak Sunset Breeze. That was one of several opened tins I bought as a lot last year, and who knows how long they were sitting around like that; could've been a year or more for all I know. I was new, and I didn't ask any questions since it was such a good deal for the lot. I remember a good half dozen of those blends needed immediate rehydration; I thought a couple of them were goners (I'm lookin' at you, Lane 125th Anniversary!), but I did manage to save them all. SB wasn't one of these, but however long it sat in the unsealed tin may have caused it to lose a lot of that "oomph" of the amaretto note.

I think LL-7 and RLP-6 have enough PG to prevent this kind of thing from ever happening. 125th...not so much.