PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
Searching for a decent vanilla is a challenge. Cavendish styles usually have a natural, vanilla-y taste, but sometimes you want a really good vanilla, especially if you're an aromatic fan such as myself.

Most of Sutliff's options for vanilla are pretty unremarkable or too soft or vague and they offer 15 varieties and another 20 or so sub-varieties (such as creme brule)! Mac Baren's vanilla flake is decent, however, and bought-out by Sutliff fairly recently I believe.

D-40 Vanilla by Sutliff reminds me of Breyer's Vanilla ice cream with a nice vanilla bean aftertaste. Simple, pure, and not chemically, I recommend the smooth, creaminess of it without cheating with a ton of black Cavendish. Flavored with vanilla extract it's a good, cool summer smoke.

Strongly recommended.

I'm going to try Boswell Pipes & Tobacco's version to see if it stacks-up this weekend. Wish me luck.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
The best Vanilla I had found is no longer available. Lane Limited Vanilla Black Cavendish was a real treat. I like to taste the tobacco with my aromatics so the vanilla tobacco that I go to occasionally is Virginia Gold Vanilla. It is not a "Sell My Clothes I'm Going to Heaven" tobacco, but it is a very enjoyable smoke.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Searching for a decent vanilla is a challenge. Cavendish styles usually have a natural, vanilla-y taste, but sometimes you want a really good vanilla, especially if you're an aromatic fan such as myself.

Most of Sutliff's options for vanilla are pretty unremarkable or too soft or vague and they offer 15 varieties and another 20 or so sub-varieties (such as creme brule)! Mac Baren's vanilla flake is decent, however, and bought-out by Sutliff fairly recently I believe.

D-40 Vanilla by Sutliff reminds me of Breyer's Vanilla ice cream with a nice vanilla bean aftertaste. Simple, pure, and not chemically, I recommend the smooth, creaminess of it without cheating with a ton of black Cavendish. Flavored with vanilla extract it's a good, cool summer smoke.

Strongly recommended.

I'm going to try Boswell Pipes & Tobacco's version to see if it stacks-up this weekend. Wish me luck.
I am not really an aro fan, but one of the first tobaccos I ever ordered was Sutliff Vanilla Custard. It's an over the top, goopy Aro, but it definitely delivers 100% on the vanilla custard flavor.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Strongly recommended.

Thanks for the rec. I tried Creme Brulee and Vanilla Custard which were both only ok to me. What other aros do you like that have a good taste?

Streeper541

Lifer
Jun 16, 2021
Spencer, OH
I smoked some Sutliff Vanilla earlier today and was reminded why I very rarely ever smoke that stuff.

However, if Vanilla is your thing, might I suggest MacBaren Vanilla Flake? I normally enjoy that one.

Attachments

• 5tk5sn.jpg
    5tk5sn.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 7
Mar 1, 2014
I wish Smokingpipes had separate categories for "Aromatics" and "Pipe Ghosting Aromatics", and then a "Hazardous Materials" section for anything equivalent to a properly sauced Lakeland.
There's nothing like the thrill of a sensory overload induced seizure.