PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

KSmith1967

Lurker
Dec 12, 2023
New Jersey
I spent hours looking for something to help me identify this one, but I found nothing. I cannot decipher what the writing says on the front of the bowl either.

A collector told me that this could be a very old and rare Meerschaum but he was not sure. The length is 5 and a half inches long. Does anyone recognize this one?

Attachments

• wtdwhrg.jpg
    wtdwhrg.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 59
  • wethh.jpg
    wethh.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123
It is sometimes really hard to tell the difference between "really old" and "been kept in a drawer full of old screw and nails for just a few years." That said, I am not sure whether age would affect the price of a mere in a positive way. I see really old dark colored meers going for $50 on ebay all the time.
Also, if really old, it has no colorations, which indicates that either it is not true block meerschaum or the pipe was rarely ever smoked.
Plus, that stem extension doesn't look like it adds anything great to the aesthetics of the pipe. Whether the maker added it or someone repaired it with a stick from their yard, it is a liability to this pipe's design and possibly will need to be repaired in the future.

I realize that I am not being all gumdrops and rainbows here, but that's just the way I read it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
To me it looks like an older or oldish meer that commemorates something or not. If we can translate the script on it. But that type of pipe is made by anonymous carvers. It's basically a novelity as far as collecting goes. You could sell it to someone who is looking for a neat or nifty thing to add to their collection. Unless there is some traceable and verifiable interesting history connected to it, it's just an old pipe. A neat old pipe. Think of it the same way an old package of cigarettes. Neat but more of them out there then you think.
The key though to how cool it really is would be what's written on it.

Reactions: KSmith1967

KSmith1967

Lurker
Dec 12, 2023
New Jersey
Yes, it looks like a clay pipe with a cherry shank and horn stem. It probably has an orific bit and could be from the early 20th Century or even earlier. We’d need some better shots showing all of the lettering to read what is on the pipe. I doubt if the maker could be identified if there are no other markings.
Thanks! here it is...

Attachments

• IMG_1632 copy.jpg
    IMG_1632 copy.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123