PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Monssen13

Lurker
Oct 12, 2023
I have two estate pipes with ebonite stems and stingers. As per the title, the stingers seem to be rather stuck, and I would like to remove them. Is there a way (maybe a solution or liquid?) to loosen them without damaging the stem?
Thanks

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Put them in the freezer for an hour and try again. Please try this first before going to more potentially damaging solutions (pun intended)

Reactions: yanoJL
Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Soak the stingers and tenons in alcohol for about 10 minutes. They’re glued in with tar. You can also try a few freeze thaw cycles. Wiggle them out very gently or risk snapping the tenon off.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Soak the stingers and tenons in alcohol for about 10 minutes. They’re glued in with tar. You can also try a few freeze thaw cycles. Wiggle them out very gently or risk snapping the tenon off.
Bingo, exactly this. You can also soak a fuzzy cleaner, and run it from the button end down, into the stinger. i I insert this in a tall shot glass and it wicks up some of the alcohol (fill to above the stinger line). That almost always works.

Reactions: RustiePyles CPG

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Some stingers are threaded and need unscrewed. Those look like push-in (friction fit)
Embers heat suggestion also effective but don't heat enough to tweak the tenon.
The freezer option can be hazardous as well. As the tars expand from freezing they can split the tenon like water in a bottle.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Your post was very helpful. I had one stuck today. It was broken off and could barely get pliers on it. I used the search function, reread the thread and the lighter trick did the job in seconds.

thanks!