PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
I got 3 Meers for xmas. one smoked twice that's sixty years old. one unsmoked that is also 60 years old and one unsmoked that is 32 years old. The 60 year old unsmoked

one has a tight stem, can anyone tell Me the best way to free it up.

Thanks Rod (Ace57)

P.S. I got them from My Gal.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
never had a stem stick on me ace but i seen on here alot of the guys say to put em in the fridge for a bit then the stem will come off. I never had to try it tho so i cant say and maybe that only applies to briars

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
The freezer has worked well for me with briar.

I don't own any meers, yet, and I've not heard if there should be a caution here.

I'd think there would be no harm if you were to be on the cautious side. Only leave it in the freezer for 5 or 10 minutes at a time.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
As the meer needs to be bathed to be carved (with water become soft) probably if shank will be softed will let you remove the stem..............I guess

Maurizio

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
Put it in a vice and heat it up with a blow torch. You may want to put some lighter fluid on for some lube. Then give it a good twist with some vice grips. That should do it.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
Wow I got it!!! Today I took a look at it again, and the stem came off from it just like nothing was wrong.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good. :clap:

Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.