PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
Hi folks,

this lot I've acquired becomes more and more interesting. It also contains an unsmoked Charatan Special (unfortunately with a little scratch in the shank) which is quite puzzling.

IMG_0937.jpegIMG_0938.jpegIMG_0939.jpegIMG_0940.jpeg

The pipe only shows a number "3" on the rear side of the shank, and the logo on the stem is quite different from a normal Charatan logo, with wider letters. Also, on the other side of the stem there is a stamp "203573" which is the regd number I believe.

Any explanations / dating would be most helpful - especially about the logo.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I don’t know the brand well at all. Did you check out the excellent dating article on pipedia? It would seem that since the C still enters the P it would be pre-82. To my eyes the CP on your one doesn’t look that different to the example given for the lane era
I think it's Lane era, too, but I'd still like to see sharper photos.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
IMG_1642.jpegIMG_1643.jpegIMG_1644.jpegIMG_1645.jpegIMG_1646.jpeg

What really puzzles me is the CP logo. The typefont is completely different from the CP logos shown here: Charatan -- Pipes : Logos & Markings - http://www.pipephil.eu/logos/en/logo-charatan.html

Maybe it's not the original stem, but that would be unlikely for an unsmoked pipe. It was quite faded and took serious buffing to make it look like it does now.

Also the "3" is kind of weird, normally the Lane era pipes have 3 or 4 digit numbers with DC afterwards

Last edited:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Seems doubtful that anyone would bother to stamp the registration number on a replacement stem, So that argues for the stem being legit.

Whether that stem is original to the pipe is debatable. The fit is somewhat off. And while the pipe is unsmoked, the stem has been buffed quite a bit.

The stem logo IS different, but is not Dunhill era.

So, Lane era, though stem is possibly not original.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I own a Reuben Era one with a similar, rarely seen, stem CP logo, what puzzles me is to see the serifed logo on a much later DC stem. The "3" is not so much weird; I believe it was a price group designation, I've seen it on plenty Charatan pipes.
The registration nr. is on any ugly DC stem.

Reactions: Duke of Erinmore

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
The 3 on the right hand side of the shank notes price point. I discussed it with Ken a few years ago. Had a made in City of London with a ‘2’ on it. Well, still do as a matter of fact.

As for the stem logo, I believe I’ve seen that before. As to what timeframe that was used I have no idea.

Probably the best you could nail it down would be late 1960’s, early 1970’s…

Changes, lines, markings, etc were of dizzying proportions during the Lane regime…

Reactions: Duke of Erinmore