PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokenscotch

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 23, 2011
Mach 3 for me also. Great clean shave everytime without the worry of slitting my throat. LOL.

wonky

Lurker
Nov 26, 2011
Columbia, MO
DE for me... I converted in December after the frustration of cartridges (not only the price, but the irritation). I have never had a smooth of shave in my life, but I haven't jumped down the straight razor slope yet. The wife is starting DE when her razor shows up this week.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I inherited a Henkels straight razor from my grandpa, who was a barber. I never realized what a talented man he truly was until I taught myself to shave with it. My face looked like an old butcher block for the first couple times.

thbg

Might Stick Around
Aug 30, 2011
I use a merkur with feather razors. Proraso cream/thayers witch hazel/herban cowboy aftershave balm
I have yet to try a straight razor, but my combo gives me a great close shave.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Safety an old Gillete adjustable with Persona blades, I have a Merkur as well but prefer the Gillete.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
Honestly the razor is the least pleasurable part of the shave, a nice badger brush with real shaving cream not the goop in a can is what makes it so nice. I have a Simpson Colonel that does a great job. No replacement for Badger Hair!!

sf13

Lurker
Feb 9, 2012
I just had my first successful straight razor shave. It was my great grandpas king cutter razor from the thirties. I finally got it cleaned up and it was the best shave ive had yet needless to say it was very cool using my grandpas razor after restoring it to shave quality by myself. It was a cool project for me.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I use some four bladed beast whose name I can't remember at the moment. I get razor breakouts too, regardless of how easy or fast I go. I've tried a double-edged razor before. As a cruel joke my dad taught me to shave with one (I think he listened to Bill Cosby a bit too much). Anyway, I have considered using a straight razor for a while.
To the pros here, how hard is it to maintain (i.e. sharpen, clean, et cetera)? I've never used one, so I'm completely ignorant on the matter. What else goes along with it, besides the sharpening leather?

havanarick

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
This should help

http://www.guidetoshaving.com/straight-razors

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/10/06/how-to-straight-razor-shave/

maduroman

May 15, 2010
cindi, there is a strait razor site where several women on the site talk about shaving their "lady bits" with a strait....
as far as maintaining a strait, i find it alot less hassle than dealing with whatever the latest super blade razor to come out. my hands are crippled up with arthritus and using a strait is easier than most other methods.
if you use a strait, you will cut yourself, you will bleed no matter how long you do it, but remember, a dull strait will cut you worse than a sharp one will....

pipedisciple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 18, 2011
I have bad tremors so shaving with a straight would be suicide, I use one of the Mach razors. Still cut myself occasionally. :puffy:

deleon

Nov 7, 2011
Texas
DE Parker Razor is what I use with Astra blades for a close shave. Straight razors are great but I think they're way over priced!

maduroman

May 15, 2010
my most expensive one was $25.... cruise antique stores, clean sharpen and steralize.

Status
Not open for further replies.