Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I though that Stokkebye's Dark Fired had been discontinued. It was missing for a while, and I am glad that they brought it back. I use it kick up some lightweight blends and to add some spice to a few aromatics. I rank it as a low medium in the nicotine department.
Stokkebyes adds something to the dark fired that gives it a slight sweetness that I prefer. Or, somehow it turns out slightly sweeter anyhow. But, I don't really ever just smoke this one on it's own.
Good stuff!!

NightShayde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Georgia
flatline2beatline.com
I though that Stokkebye's Dark Fired had been discontinued. It was missing for a while, and I am glad that they brought it back. I use it kick up some lightweight blends and to add some spice to a few aromatics. I rank it as a low medium in the nicotine department.
Stokkebyes adds something to the dark fired that gives it a slight sweetness that I prefer. Or, somehow it turns out slightly sweeter anyhow. But, I don't really ever just smoke this one on it's own.
Good stuff!!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
This blend is very strong. It is as if one were to take a burnt piece of wood and laced it with chili powder and black pepper. It is very tangy and spicy but it grows on you. It's a blend that is a once a day or once a week smoke. So if you like spicy tobacco, this blend hits the mark 100%.
I prefer Dark-Fired Kentucky (DFK) as part of a blend. It plays real well with Virginia leaf and regular, air-cured Burley. I like some Latakia blends that use it, too.

Another interesting straight DFK tobacco is Gawith, Hogarth & Co. Kendal Kentucky. I believe the Gawiths get most of their DFK from Africa, specifically Malawi I believe, and between the difference in origin and processing techniques, it's pretty distinct!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Massively different blends!
I find them quite similar with the exception of BK's earthiness a bit more pronounced than ODF. The higher percentage of Virginia in ODF makes it sweet while the higher percentage of Dark Fired in BK made it more earthy. Both are quite mild for me.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I find them quite similar with the exception of BK's earthiness a bit more pronounced than ODF. The higher percentage of Virginia in ODF makes it sweet while the higher percentage of Dark Fired in BK made it more earthy. Both are quite mild for me.
Agree 100% with the description, need to smoke more of the Bold Kentucky to form a more complete opinion, but ODF is a big favourite of mine, and more or less allday smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.