PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
It's hard to beat a good stilton cheese. I prefer the blue but white is available. The blue version uses the same variety of penicillin as Roquefort cheese for those that didn't know.

Though the cheese takes its name from the village of Stilton in Cambridgeshire, only stilton made in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire or Leicestershire is allowed to wear the stilton name!

A lovely christmas treat is to have a whole wheel, cut a cone of cheese from the top of the wheel and pour in some quality vintage port. Leave a while then replace the plug.

I prefer to take mine with slightly salted crackers and nothing else. A true christmas treat to which my sister never fails to furnish me with.

Regards,

Jay.

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
Although I enjoy Stilton, my absolute favorite is a hard-to-find cheese called Hawkins Haze. I can get it delivered, but don’t want to pay the shipping. So, I regularly hunt for it in the froofy farmers markets on the main line.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
We went to the farmers market this morning and I was quite shocked when I rounded the corner and saw my Urologist had a table set up. I did a double take. It turns out he has 60 goats, I thought wtf sixty??? He had milk and cheese. The cheddar was really good, it had a drier, crumbly texture like a sharp aged cheese but it was mild and flavorful. Turned out we walked away with a complementary wedge, complementary not counting the thousands of dollars I'd paid for his services. He's a really good guy and I put in an order for honey from his bees.
Urologist and cheese is not a combo that conjures good images in my mind.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
It's hard to beat a good stilton cheese. I prefer the blue but white is available. The blue version uses the same variety of penicillin as Roquefort cheese for those that didn't know.

Though the cheese takes its name from the village of Stilton in Cambridgeshire, only stilton made in Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire or Leicestershire is allowed to wear the stilton name!

A lovely christmas treat is to have a whole wheel, cut a cone of cheese from the top of the wheel and pour in some quality vintage port. Leave a while then replace the plug.

I prefer to take mine with slightly salted crackers and nothing else. A true christmas treat to which my sister never fails to furnish me with.

Regards,

Jay.
Yes, and unfortunately idiot(s) has passed legislation to allow only cheese made from pasteurised milk to be labelled "Stilton"

There is a wonderful one made from unpasteurised milk called Stichelton.
Do try it, if you can find it.

Reactions: mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Yes, and unfortunately idiot(s) has passed legislation to allow only cheese made from pasteurised milk to be labelled "Stilton"

There is a wonderful one made from unpasteurised milk called Stichelton.
Do try it, if you can find it.
The only reason I've not tried Stichelton is their high p+p rates. It's a shame but that is the only way I can get hold of it and I really would love to sample it but not at those prices.

Regards,

Jay.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
You have been watching “Wallace and Gromit” 😂
I have not. A expat Brit friend of mine turned me on to it years ago, and I was a steady Amazon customer for years.
Post Covid, it’s been tougher to buy, unless you go for a whole wheel.

Reactions: OzPiper

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
You have been watching “Wallace and Gromit” 😂

Supposedly true:

Wensleydale was an obscure local variety that was headed toward historical footnote-hood when the Wallace and Grommit cartoon came out. Shortly afterward, demand boomed and has stayed steady ever since.

Thirty years on, I bet Nick Park gets mailbombed with a wheel of cheese from a grateful Wensleydale farmer or two to this day.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I won't side track this with inappropriate stories but you are definitely correct 💯

Also a good triple cream brie.

And Drunken goat.

If fact a good Charcuterie board on the first at-home date is as sure fire as sure fire gets.

Don't forget the gherkins...😉
Mad props on the charcuterie. It's my go to on a busy week night (on a paper plate for easy clean up).

Salami or other smoked meats, cheese, olives, gherkins, grapes, and some mustards (pub, spicy brown, whole gain) and maybe some crackers or a hunk of bread.

It beats just cheese and crackers, but that combination is decent too.

• Love
Reactions: spicy_boiii