PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
This was my first attempt at “repairing” anything this gnarly. Lines aren’t perfect. Used flat file, 240 wet, and 400 wet. Will try to round out button when doing the normal wet sanding/buffing. I’ll take it as a win.

Attachments

• IMG_5027.jpeg
    IMG_5027.jpeg
    214.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5028.jpeg
    IMG_5028.jpeg
    170.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5035.jpeg
    IMG_5035.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5036.jpeg
    IMG_5036.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5038.jpeg
    IMG_5038.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: didimauw

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
Nice, clean stem in the end.

Yeah, it’s definitely a, “damn” moment when you file it at the wrong angle. But the stem stayed in 1 piece. lol. The damage was pretty deep and the before pictures look better than it was.
Is this a pretty valuable piece, either monetarily or sentimentally?

Reactions: bayareabriar

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
Nice, clean stem in the end.

Is this a pretty valuable piece, either monetarily or sentimentally?
Thank you. I’m still cleaning the rest and will see how she smokes. It’s maybe a $300-600 pipe; sasieni viscount lascelles. Nothing sentimental. I’ll post some photos in a week or so when she’s all cleaned and sanitized.

• Love
Reactions: orlandofurioso

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
Going to have to read up and watch some videos about steam and these markings on the bowl. Stem is good enough for me

Attachments

• IMG_5180.jpeg
    IMG_5180.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5181.jpeg
    IMG_5181.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5177.jpeg
    IMG_5177.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5178.jpeg
    IMG_5178.jpeg
    39.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5182.jpeg
    IMG_5182.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5183.jpeg
    IMG_5183.jpeg
    49.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Love

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
An iron works like a charm. Those might be too sharp of dings to come out but unless you get crazy with iron there is no loss. Ive done a few. Im not an expert by any means. The last one I did I took an iron on hot and used a wet washcloth in between. My thinking is that you are better off with more brief applications since you really dont want to dry the cloth and burn anything.

I dewax with alcohol, steamed it and reappled wax. The results were pretty impressive and saved a coupld of really nice pipes from needing a refinish job. If you have any old beaters around you can practice a couple of times. I even have some trash pipes from a box-o-pipe purchase that I can intentionally ding to experiment with.

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
An iron works like a charm. Those might be too sharp of dings to come out but unless you get crazy with iron there is no loss. Ive done a few. Im not an expert by any means. The last one I did I took an iron on hot and used a wet washcloth in between. My thinking is that you are better off with more brief applications since you really dont want to dry the cloth and burn anything.

I dewax with alcohol, steamed it and reappled wax. The results were pretty impressive and saved a coupld of really nice pipes from needing a refinish job. If you have any old beaters around you can practice a couple of times. I even have some trash pipes from a box-o-pipe purchase that I can intentionally ding to experiment with.
Thank you! I’ll play around with some first. Was the wash cloth wet where you can still ring some water out, or just damp?

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I ring it out but leave a generous amount of water in it. I could have gotten more water out. I just gave it a good one handed squeeze. I think I also doubled it over since it was not one of the wife's good ones :)

You want he heat to go through and make steam. You dont want it to dry. Test the wash cloth first and make sure it doesnt melt. Each time I hit up the ding I didnt wait a long time before removing heat. Think about what happens in the kitchen when you pick up a hot pan with a damp towel...you quickly burn yourself. Heat travels really fast through a wet cloth. Just take your time. If it works great. If not then you have to figure out your next strategy. Even if you refinished the pipe (Im not saying you should) its worth getting as much from steaming as posslible

Also if you are removing the wax with alcohol remember stains are often alcohol based. Dont rub the crap out if it or you will start removing color. Just wipe over it a couple of times, it will be dull when it quickly dries. I checked my cloth each time I applied it to be sure it wasnt turning dark.

You might have to touch up those spots even if it works. They look like they damaged the stain area...but its hard to say just from photos and Im not an expert. The dings I took out were more shallow and had softer edges. However, they were on a birdseye top of a pipe and very visible so they were not something that took effort to find. Steaming also will take out small pressure created lines. While you are at it you might want to steam the top and see if it takes out some of those marks covering the rim. Its pretty freakin cool magic when it works!

Maybe someone will chime in and suggest if that is the best method. Im under the assumption that the wax needs to go in order to get the best steam penetration.

Last edited:

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
I ring it out but leave a generous amount of water in it. I could have gotten more water out. I just gave it a good one handed squeeze. I think I also doubled it over since it was not one of the wife's good ones :)

You want he heat to go through and make steam. You dont want it to dry. Test the wash cloth first and make sure it doesnt melt. Each time I hit up the ding I didnt wait a long time before removing heat. Think about what happens in the kitchen when you pick up a hot pan with a damp towel...you quickly burn yourself. Heat travels really fast through a wet cloth. Just take your time. If it works great. If not then you have to figure out your next strategy. Even if you refinished the pipe (Im not saying you should) its worth getting as much from steaming as posslible

Also if you are removing the wax with alcohol remember stains are often alcohol based. Dont rub the crap out if it or you will start removing color. Just wipe over it a couple of times, it will be dull when it quickly dries. I checked my cloth each time I applied it to be sure it wasnt turning dark.

You might have to touch up those spots even if it works. They look like they damaged the stain area...but its hard to say just from photos and Im not an expert. The dings I took out were more shallow and had softer edges. However, they were on a birdseye top of a pipe and very visible so they were not something that took effort to find. Steaming also will take out small pressure created lines. While you are at it you might want to steam the top and see if it takes out some of those marks covering the rim. Its pretty freakin cool magic when it works!

Maybe someone will chime in and suggest if that is the best method. Im under the assumption that the wax needs to go in order to get the best steam penetration.
Thank you for taking the time to explain it so well!

Reactions: Sigmund

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
A soldering Iron works great for steaming, pinpoint accuracy but it gets very hot. Touch and check, repeat as necessary then refinish.

This ^^^

For towel material, just use an ordinary paper towel folded until you have a "tab" about 8 layers thick and a quarter inch wide, then touch/dip in a jar lid or saucer of water before applying to the work.

bayareabriar

Lifer
May 8, 2019
This ^^^

For towel material, just use an ordinary paper towel folded until you have a "tab" about 8 layers thick and a quarter inch wide, then touch/dip in a jar lid or saucer of water before applying to the work.
I was going to watch some of your videos and try to find some of your posts on the matter. Thank you both for the direction!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
As George says. Before I bring the hot iron to the briar I apply a drop of water to the sore spot.
As I do when steaming out a dent from a wooden table top, - floor etc.
Perhaps the drop of water is only superstition, but it always worked fine for me :)
These look more like scratches to me, but it is worth trying.
Be sure the steam function of the iron is turned off !
Careful not to burn your fingers and practice patience.

Reactions: bayareabriar

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Drop of water in / on the dent then flash steam with a preheated soldering iron. You can also use a hypodermic needle to make microscopic holes in a stubborn dent before steaming to get better penetration.