PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcinpa

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Philadelphia area
Once you take it out of the Oxiclean, do you use the magic eraser dry or wet? And does the buffing off process take minutes (20-30) or hours? I am buffing dry and not making any progress. I'm not getting brown stuff on the magic eraser anymore and the stem still stinks.
Can someone describe how this process should be done (dry/wet) and how long it should take?
Thanks!

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I start with 600 grit wet paper, then 1500 grit, then 3000 grit, then majic eraser, then micro mesh. I change the water as soon as it gets tinted. I put 2-3 inches of hot water in a small bucket and clean the stems in it. Ensures that the stem and wet paper are continuously wet

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Yikes, this is a real PITA!
How about a dremel tool? I have one. Dangerous?
Yes,but once done you don't have to do it again for a long while if you take care of the stem.

Few things will melt a stem faster than a Dremel. Can be used but ya gotta be careful.

IMO-dump the Oxyclean or use it to clean around the house. Diluted bleach removes the oxidation better, or for lightly oxidized stems just sand it off.
A buffer can speed the process. Usually I spend about 45 minutes wet sanding and buffing a stem.

jcinpa

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Philadelphia area
Ugh! 2-4 hours!
Well, I can imagine how I could get into trouble with the dremel. I'll just have to be patient, I guess. I have three of them to do.

garageb08

Might Stick Around
Jun 4, 2012
I have just tried using "Goof Off". A very strong alcohol remover. Kind of an experiment. Be carefull this stuff will eat right through any wax, finish or stain on your briar. Normally used for adhesives and other sticky stuff (pine pitch). But it really cuts through and cleans a lot of the oxidation and any other goop and tar that might be residing on or in the stem. Then a sanding with 500 and 1000 a bit and buff with white diamond. About 45 minutes of work. Teeth dents will of course take more time sanding. Let this stuff evaporate and wipe off completely....Highly flamible....don't ligth up right after cleaning. LOL 8O

jcinpa

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Philadelphia area
I'm done. Two hours of this using Barkeeper's Friend, magic erasers, and Flitz. It's shiny but still stinks and has a little sour taste still. I'm looking at the other two and the hell with it.
I'm driving down to Holt's in Philadelphia tomorrow, they'll buff these out while I wait. I just don't have the patience.

jcinpa

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Philadelphia area
Thanks, but no, I have to do my own work. I'm sure you have pipe stems to work on of your own, and I'd feel a bit guilty. Thanks, though!
I took them to Holts today and he said he buffed them (for free!) and they don't stink or taste bad now, but they are still not smooth and shiny. Back to the magic eraser and barkeeper's friend. Ugh, I hate this.

kabong30

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2012
Hey, if I haven't said it welcome! I have found that pipe smoking is not a hobby for rushing. I totally agree with Philip, load a bowl and get to sipping and you'll be done before you realize it. If you need to, take a break and come back to it later.
Oh, and post us up some pics!

jcinpa

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Philadelphia area
Well, I quit my griping, got in front of the television tonight with some 600 grit wet/dry paper, some 0000 steel wool, some Barkeepers Friend and some Flitz, and after a couple hours got a pretty good result!
You are right, it takes a lot of time, but it does work. Thanks for the tips and the encouragement! :)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Using 0000 steel won't hurt the stem.It will leave a finish comparable to 4-500 grit sandpaper.Id' start with the 4-0 steel wool,go to the 600 (used wet) and then the Bar keepers Friend and polish.

jcinpa

Lurker
Jul 8, 2012
Philadelphia area
Yes, 0000 steel wool is fine, trust me on that one. Just the other day I used it with some gun lube to take some rust pits out of some blued WWII-era M1 Carbine magazines for a friend. Plus I went after it with Barkeepers Friend and Flitz afterwards. The stem looks great!
0000 steel wool is used for finishing between oil coats on fine furniture, too. No worries about it.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
I have cleaned a few nasty stems using auto polish and synthetic steel wool. They are nice and shiny and no scratches.

Status
Not open for further replies.