PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
I noticed the sites that sell Stanwell all seem to be very low on inventory. Is there a reason for this?

I'm interested in purchasing a Stanwell sterling sandblast 95 (or maybe something else similar), but PipesAndCigars.com is sold out. They seem to be the only site with a decent selection of Stanwell pipes.

Are there any others I'm not aware of that ship to USA?

Thanks!

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title - Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny_Pipecleaner

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 13, 2019
Mill Valley, CA
Thanks! I actually JUST found an estate pipe, exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm still curious why most shops don't have much Stanwell in stock versus all the Peterson, Savinelli, etc. I've heard Danish pipes don't sell as well, but I thought that was primarily those fancy freehand models?

I've been out of the pipe game for a decade or so, but it seems Stanwell moved production to Italy? Anyone have any info on that or care to throw me a link?

ALSO, for anyone else looking for Stanwell, PipesAndCigars.com has a ton of great options.

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you aren't in a hurry, monitoring the PC site could pay off. They do have a large inventory, if not the particular one you want, so that could come around. Their prices, at least when I've bought Stanwells, are about the best deal you will find. Smokingpipes.com may turn up a good estate pipe. Check out the other leads posted above. Some people strongly prefer the pipes that were made in Denmark, but after a lot of stalling, I bought one made in Italy, and then another, and find them first rate. No bragging rights, but good pipes.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
in Europe Stanwells are pretty good represented both in Denmark and the UK as well, good bang for the buck,I like them classic model line pipes, furthermore if one is looking to get an estate Stanwell,then this vendor estetebriarpipes.dk may have something to offer, this vendor has a huge inventory of used Stanwells

Reactions: Johnny_Pipecleaner
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Shall I consider Stanwell's as beig poor man's Dunhills?, but seriously, I have been told by one serious UK based pipe restorer and estate vendor that those older, early Stanwell regd nro pipes smoke as good as any Dunhill and quality wise are equal to Dunhill pipes

Interesting, I think Pipes and Cigars is the only place where I have seen a lot of Stanwells for sale. I don't think I have even been a B&M anywhere and seen Stanwells for sale in person.

I had predicted in a thread a few years ago that by deciding to go with lower prices by having them made in France, which made them about the cheapest on the market, that it would lower their perceived value overall, which is a damned shame knowing that so many fantastic and artist level pipemakers have spun off of the Stanwell brand.

Dunhill has never tried to lower their prices, although they started sourcing their labor to France also. Anything that holds a luxury level of quality never shoots to be the cheapest... for a very good reason.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Status
Not open for further replies.