Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Folks:
I need some help.
Is there a how-to out there on reconditioning an estate pipe? I'm pretty okay with killing ghosts, sanitizing and restoring stems, but re-doing a pipe bowl is a mystery. I've got a couple of smokers that need to be stripped and then restained. There was a recent post on restaining that I'll follow to a tee, but the stripping part has me puzzled.
My first try - just to get tuned in - will be on a throwaway. But I'd like to move up to a Dr. Grabow Viscount I picked up recently.
Thanks.
Fnord

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
To remove years of grime, I will scrub a pipe with an alcohol soaked cotton ball. If that doesnt cut it I use 0000 Steel Wool soaked in alcohol and used very lightly. This will remove the old wax and some of the old dye. If that still doesnt solve whatever problem you have, a full sanding is in order, probably something like 220, 320, 400 & 600 grit to do a thorough job.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Also should add, completely resanding a pipe is a major PITA. Its time consuming and easy to round edges that shouldnt be round and get the shape of a pipe out of whack especially around the rim. In my opinion, it is to be avoided if you can fix the problem in another way.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Check out the blog, "Reborn Pipes". Steven Laug does a lot of write-ups, with pictures on almost every task a restorer might encounter. He has several on restaining and I even contributed two myself.
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.