PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
So i was staining a pipe a few minutes ago and i realized that the stain was traveling up and in the bowl. There is no way that can be good to burn and inhale so i wipped as much away as i could. i am thinking cotton balls next time to keep it out. Does any one have any tips as to keep this from happening?

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Was the stain getting in the chamber around the rim or seeping through the bowl? You will get an unusually porous block of briar from time to time that will wick the stain from the outside of the bowl into the tobacco chamber. It's one of the reasons briar is such a good vessel for tobacco pipes. There isn't anything you can do about it to prevent it from happening. It won't hurt a thing to smoke it that way. It may give off a slight off taste the first few smokes. Despite a lot of bad press on internet forums and amongst the pipe community, this is one common reason for carbon coating bowls.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I agree with Mr. Teipen,won't hurt a thing.
Edit--You are using an alcohol based stain right??

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I think if this happened to me I would just check what the stain base is to make sure it isn't toxic. But then again you probably already know that lol.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
When I make boxes with different woods glued together sometimes I don't want stain on the lighter woods. I just use bees wax on what I don't want stained. Try that.

fshu2

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2011
i am using a water based. i have never heard of alcohol based stain is it necessary? if so where can i get it?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You can get them here or at leather shops.

http://www.pipemakers.org/finishing_products.html

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
A lot of pipe makers use Fiebings leather dyes which are alcohol based. I prefer J.E. Mosier's powdered dyes that you mix yourself. You can get them in water, alcohol, and oil based at www.woodworkersupply.com.

locopony

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 7, 2011
Your pipe is uttley ruined. It must be disposed of properly, Unfortunatly I am the only person in the world who can do this. So send it to me post haste, It could ruin other pipes in your collection if kept near them too long.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Oh yeah. If you go the powdered alcohol based stains you'll want to mix them in denatured alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.