PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
When tarnished, do NOT go after them with a rag and some sort of liquid polish unless you mask the shank with tape first.

The blackish stain left behind cannot be removed or bleached out. (The only "fix" is to re-color the entire stummel a dark brown or that eggplant antique purple).

I once had to re-color a 4-pipe unsmoked ca$ed $et of late 19th century pipes because of this. (goodbye grain)

Better still is to not use a liquid polish at all, but some finely sifted tobacco ash and a dampened bit of TP or Kleenex. It will remove tarnish like magic, and you don't have to mask the shank. It won't affect wood.

Screen Shot 2023-10-16 at 6.30.34 PM.png

Mar 1, 2014
I just let my silver patina.

Ever since Cosmic pointed out the existence of Argentium I figure raw silver only exists to let it darken.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Just Georged and I in a thread… you know people are gonna click just to see what we are arguing about, ha ha.

Really?

What a weird feeling.

I never noticed.

Or, more precisely, ever thought of anything we've ever discussed as having been contentious. Not in the last 6-8 years, anyway.

Also, you're Real Deal Qualified in Life as a general thing and handtool-shop-stuff in particular, so know all kinds of Cool Shit...

Must be that "written words alone" thing doing its signature evil.

Really?

What a weird feeling.

I never noticed.

Or, more precisely, ever thought of anything we've ever discussed as having been contentious. Not in the last 6-8 years, anyway.

Also, you're Real Deal Qualified in Life as a general thing and handtool-shop-stuff in particular, so know all kinds of Cool Shit...

Must be that "written words alone" thing doing its signature evil.

I was just kidding. I have this reputation as an arguer… because people start arguments with me. puffy

You’re a real deal pipe repairmen and connoisseur, yourself. When one of my pipes break, I definitely want one of your hidden shank repairs.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Learned that when I was a kid. Bagpipes can be fitted with number of things, but sterling and German silver/nickel silver are popular. First set of pipes had brass or bronze fittings on it and I was told always tape the wood before polishing them.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Uhhhh… Yeh, ha ha. Tell me you’ve never polished silver without telling me that you’ve never polished silver.

I mean sure, if you have all day.
I used to polish all the silver in the store. Talk about a lot of work, and no trace, no polishing marks , no nothing.
Cured me of ever wanting to own silverware.

Swiss Army Knife

Can't Leave
Jul 12, 2021
North Carolina
I've got an Ebony Pete that I have used liquid polish on before and while I try and keep it away from the stummel you know it's never perfect. The Ebony stain doesn't seem effected though thankfully. Still I use a polishing cloth most of the time.

However that's not why I've darkened this thread's door. Does anyone have any experience with Brass or Copper? I've got a couple of the Christmas Petes with copper fixtures that tarnish like they're going out of style. I do like to spruce them up now and then but the polish used or Copper is no joke and I worry it might damage the, admittedly dark, stain.

Reactions: Toast