PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
my village kafenion has home made pies kotopita (chicken),tyropita (cheese) spanakopita and hortopita (wild greens ) as mentioned by karam.The owner regularly picks wild produce from the mountains when in season including the wild greens,mushrooms,asparagus.

This is something largely lost to my native UK upbringing,I dont pick mushrooms as I wouldnt have a clue which were good/bad
Yep, pies are a big deal in Greece :) In the north in Epirus, as you'll know, they really make anything and everything into a pie.

Ah yes, kafenio (coffee house) food and nibbles can be spectacular. My own village's kafenio buys fresh fish from a travelling fishmonger, fish caught that very morning and fries them. Typically they are young cod, small fry, red mullet - all delicious, better than you get in many tavernas, likely because it's about as fresh as can be.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I am from Greek and i like spanakopita, but i like more tyropita (with greek feta).
There's no non-Greek feta!
As I am living abroad, and I am a big cheese lover I sat down and contemplated whether I'd be more sad to lose any of the Greek cheeses. Kaseri is meh, anthotyro, manouri also meh. I narrowed it down to the two big ones: Feta or Graviera. It was tough for a few seconds but then it was crystal clear. Graviera I'd miss, especially a sharp, spicy Graviera from Crete. But Feta, losing Feta...it can't be done. Non-negotiable. There's nothing like it in the world. The only place I do not put Feta is in my bedroom and with chocolate, anything else is just brought to another level by it.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I am from Greek and i like spanakopita, but i like more tyropita (with greek feta).

View attachment 191093

View attachment 191094
Being half Armenian and living in Metro Detroit, we enjoy Mediterranean food regularly and in corporate it into traditional American holidays. Boereg or suboereg is a staple "cheese pie" or casserole.

Regardless of what you all are eating, enjoy in good health this new year. 20221124_103432.jpg

john19

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 27, 2021
Greece
There's no non-Greek feta!
As I am living abroad, and I am a big cheese lover I sat down and contemplated whether I'd be more sad to lose any of the Greek cheeses. Kaseri is meh, anthotyro, manouri also meh. I narrowed it down to the two big ones: Feta or Graviera. It was tough for a few seconds but then it was crystal clear. Graviera I'd miss, especially a sharp, spicy Graviera from Crete. But Feta, losing Feta...it can't be done. Non-negotiable. There's nothing like it in the world. The only place I do not put Feta is in my bedroom and with chocolate, anything else is just brought to another level by it.
You have right. There no non-greek feta.

Reactions: dino and karam