PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

f(x)

Lurker
Feb 12, 2023
Niagara Frontier
Hi All! I had purchased and jarred up 1.5 pounds of PS LBF back in October 2020, and decided to sample some for aging, etc. Now, this is not my only batch of this tobacco. I also have in the cellar batches that are 2, 4, and 5 years old. Love this stuff!

Well, I cracked open a jar and was welcomed with a sour smell! There is no evidence of mold, and the appearance is normal compared to other batches. I grabbed a few flakes, set them to the side to dry for a bit, loaded the pipe and got a very unpleasant smoke! SOUR! I was hoping that the drying time would maybe alleviate it, but no. When it was airing it stunk. All jars from this batch are the same, so it’s not just the jar. Has anyone else experienced this?

I’m debating whether I’ll just let it age for a few more years, with the hope that things will get better (it’s highly doubtful), or I’m also considering stoving it. I really would like to avoid throwing it out! What do you think?

Thanks!

Reactions: yanoJL

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hi All! I had purchased and jarred up 1.5 pounds of PS LBF back in October 2020, and decided to sample some for aging, etc. Now, this is not my only batch of this tobacco. I also have in the cellar batches that are 2, 4, and 5 years old. Love this stuff!

Well, I cracked open a jar and was welcomed with a sour smell! There is no evidence of mold, and the appearance is normal compared to other batches. I grabbed a few flakes, set them to the side to dry for a bit, loaded the pipe and got a very unpleasant smoke! SOUR! I was hoping that the drying time would maybe alleviate it, but no. When it was airing it stunk. All jars from this batch are the same, so it’s not just the jar. Has anyone else experienced this?

I’m debating whether I’ll just let it age for a few more years, with the hope that things will get better (it’s highly doubtful), or I’m also considering stoving it. I really would like to avoid throwing it out! What do you think?

Thanks!
sort of. I've had some burlys that got a slight sour note when jarred. No clue why but I imagine that it's from acids introduced or brought out by bacterial actions. But the ones I experienced sort of aired out and actually worked well with the particular tobaccos.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If space isn't a problem, I'd just jar it up and assess it again in several years whenever you decide to try to smoke it. Be prepared to pitch it if it is still sour, but there's an even chance (I surmise) it will be fine.

Be sure to label it clearly with a brief explanation, so you'll know it is the suspect batch. Give dates and symptoms.

f(x)

Lurker
Feb 12, 2023
Niagara Frontier
If space isn't a problem, I'd just jar it up and assess it again in several years whenever you decide to try to smoke it. Be prepared to pitch it if it is still sour, but there's an even chance (I surmise) it will be fine.

Be sure to label it clearly with a brief explanation, so you'll know it is the suspect batch. Give dates and symptoms.
I like that idea! I was kind of thinking along the same line. Have plenty of room so it can sit for a few years and if it's still crappy I'll stove it, try it and throw it out :ROFLMAO: