PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambam

Can't Leave
Jun 22, 2011
Virginia
I have come to really really enjoy Presbyterian Mixture, so I was wondering if you guys/gals could recommend something similar? Thanks for any suggestions. :puffy:
Edit: Fixed the title to reflect what is actually asked about, and moved to Pipe Tobacco Discussion. L

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Hmmm - IIRC, Presbyterian is a pure oriental - no latakia at all. (I haven't smoked any in years.) There's someplace to start.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I thought Presbyterian had small amounts of latakia in it... I could sworn I read that somewhere. Something like many say there isn't any latakia but it has small amounts...
-Jason
*Edit* from TR.com:
As there continues to be controversy over the question of whether Presbyterian Mixture contains Latakia, the following quote from page six of the blender's 2008 catalogue should leave the matter settled: "Extraordinarily soft blend of finest US Virginia grades and a number of selected Latakia leaf tips. Ideal mixture also for beginners with English tobaccos."

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
Presbyterian sure tastes like there is some latakia in there. Now to your question....I suggest Early Morning Pipe and H&H Magnum Opus. (actually I think Magnum Opus is better but you have to do the deciding :) )

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
:worship:
I bow to your expertise, gents! As I said, I haven't smoked the darned stuff in 40 years, and obviously haven't tried to find out anything about it. :D
Maybe Skiff is another possibility?

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Expertise... Heh. Jud, I think there's a whole world of pipe smoking expertise that you have that I'm a LONG way from having. I just happened to recently look up Presbyterian Mixture and (shocking!) was able to pull it from the dusty attic that is my memory. A little Google search brought up what I had read. I've tried the blend but I can only remember that is was just an OK blend. Maybe in 40 years I'll be in your shoes... ( :roll: If I could be so lucky!)
-Jason

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
There's a tin of Presbyterian sitting on the smoking bar at the B&M. I'll have to try some today as its been a long time since I've smoked it. As for Skiff- nice smoke too. Also try Squadron Leader. You can't go wrong with the Gawith offerings as they are very interesting in thier own right.

Status
Not open for further replies.