PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
10 min limit stopped me from addressing Solani....

I just smoked some fresh ABF a few days ago. I want to like this because according to almost everyone, everywhere... I should.

I don’t dislike it. It’s very mild. It just doesn’t click for me in flavor delivery. Try as I might, I just don’t taste much from it. I’ve folded and stuffed, rubbed it out, tried different pipes, tried Cobs. It’s very mild and pleasant but..

I had a smoke off. Two pipes. I finished the granger. The ABF was giving me relight issues and I left it to Smoke the following day.

But flavor-wise? Don’t hurt me.... Granger *AKRC was tastier.

*Aged Kentucky Rough Cut
I’ve felt the same about many popular blends. Jar it and revisit it in 6 months. And, no one is gonna expect you to like anything more than Granger my brother. But, give em a chance...it’s a deliciously mild to medium strength blend that is delightful. ☕

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
10 min limit stopped me from addressing Solani....

I just smoked some fresh ABF a few days ago. I want to like this because according to almost everyone, everywhere... I should.

I don’t dislike it. It’s very mild. It just doesn’t click for me in flavor delivery. Try as I might, I just don’t taste much from it. I’ve folded and stuffed, rubbed it out, tried different pipes, tried Cobs. It’s very mild and pleasant but..

I had a smoke off. Two pipes. I finished the granger. The ABF was giving me relight issues and I left it to Smoke the following day.

But flavor-wise? Don’t hurt me.... Granger *AKRC was tastier.

*Aged Kentucky Rough Cut
There seems to be a sweet spot for drying it out to my taste. Too dry and it loses some character, too wet and it loses some character.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Nice review! I've been putting off trying this blend due to the price tag. I don't want to fall in love with something I can't afford to have alot around of. I can't see it doing anything a more affordable burley blend can do (HH burley Flake)
I know what you mean about curtailing costs by avoiding buying expensive tins. When I smoked I smoked about 2/3 bulk and a third tin. This practice was buoyed by my love for Dark Flake. Nonetheless over the course of my smoking career I probably spent $20K on pipes, tobacco, cigars, humidor, hygrometers, humidifying beads, Boveda packs, etc., etc. Especially pipes. I couldn't stay away from them.

So I was conservative about tins. like ABF, but not Escudo that I smoked throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.