PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr. Beauregard

Interested to hear your experiences and/or opinions regarding a comparison of these two VaPer blends.

In terms of, but not limited to:

Quality: leaf, toppings/casings, blending

Flavor: strength, components, complexity

Aging: potential, benefits, experience

Cellar: do you have both? Amount?

Preference: if you could only choose one

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have both of these blends in my cellar and both are cellared deep, My oldest of the 2 is my stash of 2002 Solani 633, I have a boat load of 2012 tins of the 633. I have a large stash of the Samuel Gawith St James from 2012 that is mostly all bulk.

The Solani is in my opinion better fresh than the St James. The SG needs a good 5 years before it begins to shine. Both are top of the line vapers and they just get better the more they age. It is weird that the Solani gets more spicy and peppery the older it gets to my tastes. The SG's perique gets smoother and more raisin and figgy flavored the older it gets. Both are top of the line vapers and I enjoy each one for the differences they show as they get older.
I consider them to be as good as any vapers on the market.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
St. James Flake is one of the greatest VaPers ever created in my opinion. The topping on the 633 is noticeable but very light (honey and citrus?). I don't taste a topping on SJF but it is pretty sweet in my opinion and honestly, I can't say if that sweetness is all natural or some light topping, whatever it is, it's gold. SJF ages amazing but I imagine 633 has great aging potential as well, I just don't have any first hand experience with aged 633... yet.

In short, both are top shelf VaPers and both are different enough to have in your cellar without being redundant.

If I could only choose one? That is simple, St. James Flake by and far. I don't agree that you have to wait 5 years for this to really shine, this one is great fresh but it does get really good with some age on it. Sometimes I prefer it fresh (1 to 2 years) other times I would rather have it with 5 plus years of age on it, just depends on my mood.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I've smoked fresh tins of both, in my book 633 was a more enjoyable experience purely due to how much less hassle is involved in smoking it. Can't comment on them aged, but for me it is a deal breaker to have to age something for 5 years before it becomes good.

633 doesn't need to be dried for 23 hours 52 minutes and 25 seconds under a full moon before you can smoke it, the flakes are perfectly even compared with a jumble of very thick broken flakes, it stays lit with minimal effort.

Comparatively, when you GET the flavour out of StJames Flake, it is superior, it just takes a lot of effort to actually get it.

But I prefer Deluxe Navy Rolls to both for a premium tobacco, and St Bernard Flake for a budget one.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I find St James Flake too peppery and an utter bitch to keep lit, dry time or no. The Solani, like all Solani products, is very high quality in both taste and mechanics.

I agree. While St James Flake has great flavor (I happen to like the pepper), Solani is just an easier smoke all around. I find all the Gawith flakes to be troublesome to dry and keep lit. They're a bit goopy with gum arabic or some type of binder that one doesn't find in Solani flakes. Both brands are worth keeping around but more often than not I'll reach for Solani first.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
I agree. While St James Flake has great flavor (I happen to like the pepper), Solani is just an easier smoke all around. I find all the Gawith flakes to be troublesome to dry and keep lit. They're a bit goopy with gum arabic or some type of binder that one doesn't find in Solani flakes. Both brands are worth keeping around but more often than not I'll reach for Solani first.
I will say that I have excellent luck with Best Brown Flake with a little dry time and FVF with any amount of dry time (including none).

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
It is weird that the Solani gets more spicy and peppery the older it gets to my tastes. The SG's perique gets smoother and more raisin and figgy flavored the older it gets. Both are top of the line vapers and I enjoy each one for the differences they show as they get older.

Interesting, I have some 633 that’s 8 yrs old. I like it fresh though.

larryspencer

Might Stick Around
May 12, 2009
West Texas
In agreement with both being "top shelf va/pers. I have some SJF from 2010, and while it can be difficult to maneuver, it offers a no frills, tobacco experience. Recently, purchased some 633 remembering my last experience with this tobacco some years ago, when it was in the rectangular tin. Golden brown flakes neatly placed in a taped paper holder, in a round can. While presentation was first rate, as well as preparation, the tobacco was rather monochromatic, with some high notes. In short, I'll take SJF anyday, when available.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
I have tried St James Flake but I don’t celler it. I celler St James plug instead which I find better to be better than the flake and Harris is right at 5 years it is mind blowing. It is the best vaper I have ever tried. Peppery, sweet, figgy, floral and butter smooth. Incredible smooth and flavorful it has an almost oriental funk. The only issue is what others have said, it is a bitch to keep lit. Super frustrating sometimes. 633 is a fantastic blend in its own right and far easier to smoke. But I don’t think it is as complex and rich as St James, the flavors are not as dark.

M

Mr. Beauregard

I have tried St James Flake but I don’t celler it. I celler St James plug instead which I find better to be better than the flake and Harris is right at 5 years it is mind blowing. It is the best vaper I have ever tried. Peppery, sweet, figgy, floral and butter smooth. Incredible smooth and flavorful it has an almost oriental funk. The only issue is what others have said, it is a bitch to keep lit. Super frustrating sometimes. 633 is a fantastic blend in its own right and far easier to smoke. But I don’t think it is as complex and rich as St James, the flavors are not as dark.
I've never seen the plug available, but I'd be into that

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Interested to hear your experiences and/or opinions regarding a comparison of these two VaPer blends.

In terms of, but not limited to:

Quality: leaf, toppings/casings, blending

Flavor: strength, components, complexity

Aging: potential, benefits, experience

Cellar: do you have both? Amount?

Preference: if you could only choose one
don't know but I do know that movie is awesome. Great picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.