Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

badbriar

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

I have a recently acquired Estate Savinelli Poker that is in nice shape, but has a slightly loose mortise to tendon fit. It's not really loose per se, but is not snug. Is there a way to firm up the fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
If smoking it doesn’t quite do the trick (though it probably will): Take a Q-tip, wet it, rub the inside of the mortise until it is a little damp. It doesn’t take much. Put the stem back in and let it sit. It’ll tighten up. If it’s not enough, do it again. Loose tenons usually happen if a pipe sits unsmoked, and gets dried out.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
If smoking it doesn’t quite do the trick (though it probably will): Take a Q-tip, wet it, rub the inside of the mortise until it is a little damp. It doesn’t take much. Put the stem back in and let it sit. It’ll tighten up. If it’s not enough, do it again. Loose tenons usually happen if a pipe sits unsmoked, and gets dried out.
Just did this on my Rossi that sat unsmoked in my pipe cabinet for a year. All of a sudden. The stem was wayyyyy to loose.
This did the trick.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I always use beeswax because not only does it keep it snug, it also keeps the stem turning freely and easily.

Reactions: Crawley1066

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What chasing and others said -- smoke it. I have a favorite old Peterson B11 bent brandy that went totally loose, just tight enough to light and puff. And that fixed it. 'Could have knocked me over with a feather, but it works. Now it's tight. I guess things expand and stay tight. Or the pipe spirits wake up and pull it together.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
What chasing and others said -- smoke it. I have a favorite old Peterson B11 bent brandy that went totally loose, just tight enough to light and puff. And that fixed it. 'Could have knocked me over with a feather, but it works. Now it's tight. I guess things expand and stay tight. Or the pipe spirits wake up and pull it together.
It’s moisture. Smoking it puts moisture back into the pipe. The wood swells a touch, and the tenon is tight again.

Reactions: BROBS

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Good information. I just went through some of my old pipes, and two were loose. A little moisture, I mean pipe spirits, did the trick ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.