PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mƶlndal, Sweden
I wonder if anyone of you, fellow colleagues, are like me. I enjoy both pipe smoking and sniffing snuff, but I am NOT addictive to any (and I am not complaining about šŸ˜). It is interesting that I see everywhere around from people to advertisements warning for the risk of nicotine addiction and health issues, but I just smoke a pipe or use snuff rarely, when I want a relaxation moment. Using them or not using them doesnā€™t not give me any side effects, like headaches, agitation or anything.
How many out there are like me!

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpeg
    IMG_1178.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

hoipolloiglasgow

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 14, 2023
United States
Iā€™m a 2 bowl a day kind of guy. One in the morning with coffee and one after work in the evening while I wind down with a drink. I may smoke up to 3 on the weekends. Usually, throughout the week Iā€™ll take 1-2 days off from smoking and let my palate reset. I find I enjoy more by keeping it reasonable and donā€™t feel I am at any health risk by doing this routine. Some people may call this ā€œaddictionā€, while I think itā€™s a healthy happy lifestyle :). When I smoke more than 3 bowls a day, it just doesnā€™t feel as enjoyable and doesnā€™t taste as full. Itā€™s less to look forward to the more you do it. Sure, fellas who have smoked 10 bowls a day for the last 40-50 years will chime inā€¦enjoy how you wish, but that just isn't me.

Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
It is interesting that I see everywhere around from people to advertisements warning for the risk of nicotine addiction and health issuesā€¦
I find the complete lack of warnings about caffeine and its widespread availability to be quite interesting.

Big Tobacco Soda/Coffee/Tea companies target vulnerable children to secure the next generation of addicted customers with impunity.

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
I smoke a bowl or two a day and a cigar on occasion.
But none in the winter, it gets cold here!

And I have a dip in 15+ hours a day!
Annnnd, I don't care about being addicted to nicotine.
I quit all tobacco several times over the years, once for 7 years.
After two weeks im good, no issues.
Those two weeks its a good idea to leave me alone. :(
Its MUCH easier to quit dip, cigars, pipes, snuff, than cigarettes.....from what I hear.
When I come back to nicotine after a break, its not because of cravings, its because I enjoy it.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I am thoroughly addicted to nicotine. I try to not use the pipe for the fix but as relaxation. Think of it like an alcoholic that has a good bottle of something that they drink regularly but try not to use it to keep the shakes away but something to enjoy after taking care of the withdraws and before getting faded.
But self reporting on addiction is not super accurate. People don't know or want to know how dependent they are on most substances.
Though it's quite possible to enjoy nicotine without becoming an addict. But on the same note addiction usually doesn't just happen with first exposure. It's usually more of a gradual slide that doesn't really show where you are until you can't for whatever reason. So I bet we have at least a few people here who aren't addicted who would change their tune if they couldn't smoke for a month.

Reactions: Toast and epazikas

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
2 years ago I went into hospital at very short notice with a heart problem (like went for a test,was told your not going home we operate tomorrow)
I was smoking 2-3 pipes a day.
I didnt smoke again for 6 months and at exactly 6 months I resumed my 2-3 a day
this year I had a hip replacement ,stopped 2 days before op resumed 2 months ,later.
No cravings what so ever,I say I am not addicted but who knows

BingBong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
2 years ago I went into hospital at very short notice with a heart problem (like went for a test,was told your not going home we operate tomorrow)
I was smoking 2-3 pipes a day.
I didnt smoke again for 6 months and at exactly 6 months I resumed my 2-3 a day
this year I had a hip replacement ,stopped 2 days before op resumed 2 months ,later.
No cravings what so ever,I say I am not addicted but who knows
I'm familiar with that pattern, although the last twice I had a mouth spray to entertain me.

I'm a nicotine addict, pretty sure, although pipe tobacco attracts with the flavors and rituals, makes the old Vitamin B3 almost irrelevant. Almost.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A lot of smokers claim not to notice the hit. Might be true but, the brain notices and enjoys it each and every time, relaxing the smoker. No point in burning tobacco without the hit, no matter how subtle it is.
precisely. One of the earlier books talking about the effects of smoking and nicotine was French but the title translates to "Smoking is Sublime" and basically says the same thing you did but with more science and detail.

Reactions: epazikas

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mƶlndal, Sweden
Iā€™m a 2 bowl a day kind of guy. One in the morning with coffee and one after work in the evening while I wind down with a drink. I may smoke up to 3 on the weekends. Usually, throughout the week Iā€™ll take 1-2 days off from smoking and let my palate reset. I find I enjoy more by keeping it reasonable and donā€™t feel I am at any health risk by doing this routine. Some people may call this ā€œaddictionā€, while I think itā€™s a healthy happy lifestyle :). When I smoke more than 3 bowls a day, it just doesnā€™t feel as enjoyable and doesnā€™t taste as full. Itā€™s less to look forward to the more you do it. Sure, fellas who have smoked 10 bowls a day for the last 40-50 years will chime inā€¦enjoy how you wish, but that just isn't me.
I kind of know what you mean. I seldom smoke a pipe, but I find it much more pleasurable when I smoke after some prolonged interval. It is only then that I feel the taste and aroma.

Reactions: hoipolloiglasgow

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A lot of smokers claim not to notice the hit. Might be true but, the brain notices and enjoys it each and every time, relaxing the smoker. No point in burning tobacco without the hit, no matter how subtle it is.
Pipes are more of a cigarette placeholder for me but I've often got chew or dip in with the pipe for nicotine. The pipe alone provides none of the relaxing qualities of cigarettes or chew.

Reactions: epazikas

epazikas

Might Stick Around
Mar 20, 2024
Mƶlndal, Sweden
I find the complete lack of warnings about caffeine and its widespread availability to be quite interesting.

Big Tobacco Soda/Coffee/Tea companies target vulnerable children to secure the next generation of addicted customers with impunity.
Indeedā€¦..INDEEDā€¦.and I doubt these are less dangerous than nicotine. Of course, everything that exceeds in dosage is bad.