PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Could someone fill me in a little on smoking pipes.com's location and what their establishment looks like? I've been buying pipes and tobacco from them for eight or ten years or more. They bought a pipe to a show to save me shipping, on spec. They are the masters of customer service, and I've used their trade-in feature for store credit on at least two occasions. I "know" they are somewhere in South Carolina near Myrtle Beach, but I can't locate exactly where, how far from the big tourist center. I have visualized them somewhere in the low country, where the cost of real estate is reasonable and the surroundings are somewhat rural, but that's my fantasy life. Can someone fill me on on SP as a real place with a real footprint?

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Could someone fill me in a little on smoking pipes.com's location and what their establishment looks like? I've been buying pipes and tobacco from them for eight or ten years or more. They bought a pipe to a show to save me shipping, on spec. They are the masters of customer service, and I've used their trade-in feature for store credit on at least two occasions. I "know" they are somewhere in South Carolina near Myrtle Beach, but I can't locate exactly where, how far from the big tourist center. I have visualized them somewhere in the low country, where the cost of real estate is reasonable and the surroundings are somewhat rural, but that's my fantasy life. Can someone fill me on on SP as a real place with a real footprint?
The "low country" includes pretty much all of east central and southeast SC. It really depends where in the low country you have your real estate whether it's expensive or not. My wife and I own a house on the coast near Charleston...and even though we bought it when real estate prices were still low because of the real estate crash, we still paid upwards of $300/foot for it. Long's SC, where SP is located (or so they say) I don't think is considered the Low Country as it is in the northern coast of SC.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and mso489

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Referring to my only slightly outdated 2012 Rand McNally, they are out in the country and up near the N.C. line, I'd guess about 25 miles from Myrtle Beach.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I started ordering C&D blends when they were in Morganton, and coincidentally, my wife did a freelance writing assignment near there (free range hog farms as a food writing story). Morganton is not a large town, but when I asked people the whereabouts of C&D, they had no idea, so it was low profile locally. Their magic with burley blends, using burley as a base and as a condiment, really took hold of me, and still has. Sadly, some of the North Carolina staff couldn't relocate to S.C. (so it seems), but Jeremy Reeves has been a good steward of the brand and its blends from my point of view.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
stokesdale, I took the Laudisi brand of blends, Low Country, too literally. People are sensitive about locality, and so rightly. When my sister moved out of Chicago proper to a suburb, the newspaper where she wrote a regular column would no longer call her a Chicago writer with her byline. They kept the column, but she was now in the Chicago area. Low country people are proud of their region, its food and its ways, and if you are not part of that, you are not in Low Country, and good for them. But SP is pipe heaven, for those in the know about that.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon