PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yeah but you arent smoking cheese. Even if you arent inhaling your pipe smoke directly, there is second hand and mold spores are never healthy if inhaled. I look forward to Bobby's findings.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
The answer from C&D follows. I include it in it's entirety, rather than paraphrase:
[Bob

Absolutely nothing wromg with the tobacco. What you have is tobacco that has picked up yeast. This is a good thing. The yeast ages the tobacco. Enjoy a full mature smoke.

Regards,

Chris]
So.......everybody can relax!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I would still like some pictures of your tobacco yeast bobby.
Would be very educational. So we know what the yeast looks like on the tobacco.
You can save people from unknowingly throwing away good tobacco!
POST PICTURES!
Or e-mail em to me and I'll post them up for you. PM for e-mail address.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
If anyone is still concerned about this, I suggest springing for a 2oz can and conducting your own experiments.
Not an expert by any means, I do believe that pressed plug, and crumble cakes have a distinct disadvantage to visual scrutiny, since their skin color can be compared to the much darker interior. Whereas, a rubbed tobacco will always appear uniform through even an extended ageing process of chemical changes.
My personal aversion to the ghosty, whitish skin color was eliminated, when after the reassuring e-mail arrived, I rubbed-out the remainder in the tins and enjoyed.
Who knows how much yeast or mold everyone has already consumed (and savored) from their prized "culture-jar" collection?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I have cigars with white fluff on them, every person I ever talked to says it is just an aging process, I have smoked them with no problem at all. Most are aged over a year, they taste great if you ask me

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
"I have cigars with white fluff on them, every person I ever talked to says it is just an aging process"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A cigar-guy friend told me that many cigars sold today are really too young for consumption. He said those usually exhibit an ammonia characteristic. After a year in the humidifier, they mellow-out. If kept too dry, they are seldom reviveable. A cigar with the fluff spots has been kept too humid. I'm just the messenger on this.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
A cigar with the fluff spots has been kept too humid. I'm just the messenger on this.
Oh I believe it, my humidor is a tuperware. I open it so infrequently that is a definite possibility that some may get too humid. Only about 2 out of about 75 have fluff on them, one more than the other. Who knows?
I am definitely not too strict on my cigar keeping ability

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I LOVE it when my flakes get that powdery look to them. It is usually a great indicator that your next bowl of that particular blend will be amazing.
I've seen and smelled tobacco gone bad (a friend's cherished Rocky Patel or some other nice cigar had a bluish growth on it), and you'll KNOW when tobacco has gone bad. It reeks like rotten vegetation. I wish I could find words to describe the smell, but that's the best approximation I can come up with.
-Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.