PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jb235

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2022
Lithuania
Hey all, Its a fall outside, the weather is pretty wet and soon the winter cold is coming to my country. Would you recommend smoking a pipe in minus celsius ?? The weather in my country is pretty wet and cold expect summer and early autumn..

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The main trick is lighting a pipe in wind. It requires practice but is not beyond anyone's ability. Use trees, berms, buildings (avoid trespassing), or just the lay of the land to find the wind's dead spots. Be careful not to burn up the rim with your lighter or match, and use your hands to protect the bowl as you light.

Remember, your pipe will burn faster with the wind drawing across the top of the bowl, though you can buy lid inserts to prevent some of that, or with a deeper bowl, it happens less. It's fun, a worthwhile skill. My dad used to smoke his pipe while sailing a boat, which was an advanced version of the same skill.

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I smoke outside all year round,I especially like smoking in the colder months on clear nights when Iam wrapped up.Saying that in February when it can get into minus celcius figures I have been known to follow the swallows and migrate south for a few weeks.

Reactions: jb235

briarfoxx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 28, 2021
Tennessee
I think the only real concern in this case is your comfort (or safety in extreme cases), except for high winds burning out your pipe as others have covered (or rain).

If you’re under cover when needed, bundled up well (maybe even with an electric space heater), and the wind isn’t torching your pipe, you should be fine.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
The main trick is lighting a pipe in wind. It requires practice but is not beyond anyone's ability. Use trees, berms, buildings (avoid trespassing), or just the lay of the land to find the wind's dead spots. Be careful not to burn up the rim with your lighter or match, and use your hands to protect the bowl as you light.

Remember, your pipe will burn faster with the wind drawing across the top of the bowl, though you can buy lid inserts to prevent some of that, or with a deeper bowl, it happens less. It's fun, a worthwhile skill. My dad used to smoke his pipe while sailing a boat, which was an advanced version of the same skill.
@mso489 When I went to see the Sealed Knot at Bolsover Castle it was very windy and Dad says I spent all day trying to light my clay pipe:)

Michigan_Bill

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2021
Macomb County, Michigan
I have a foam cushion to sit upon, which insulates my nether regions. A warm hat for my head. A windproof Zippo lighter. The warmth of the pipe keeps my hand comfortable. What could be better?

Reactions: jb235