PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
how does smoker's pride classic compare to other OTC blends like PA ,SWR
I can’t comment on the quality of smokers pride but it looks like the one that people enjoyed the most was Rich Taste and it has since been discontinued. Carter hall and sir Walter Raleigh are both fantastic all day blends that you can’t go wrong with. Smokers pride is quite a bit cheaper but there’s a reason the other two have been around as long as they have (along with PA). If the price point is a factor in your decision I know that Sutliff and hearth and home both sell matches to a lot of the classic blends. H&H has a Carter hall ‘match’ called Chatham manor that really missed the mark for me. Too much cocoa, not enough rum, and terrible mouth feel. After that experience I pretty much never tried another match again and when I want an otc tobacco I just purchase an otc tobacco. Sir Walter Raleigh is my all day smoke.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've tried some Smokers Pride blends. Whereas they are "smokable", they are a little rough. I still have some and when I'm feeling brave enough to have a bowl as a change of pace, I smoke it in my calabash. As I've remarked before, a calabash is great at smoothing out any bend. The fact that SP is cheap is it's greatest virtue.

I just noticed on the net that SWR is now going for over $50 a pound. Is it just me or does that seem like a lot for what is just a drug store tobacco? puffy

Last edited:

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
Smoking some as we speak. Pretty much smoke this all day at work as it’s just something to mindlessly smoke while I work on trucks and trailers. As for comparison to the others, it really is it’s own animal. It has a very strong topping that some people have described as chemical smelling. The flavor is considerably toned down from the bag note. To me the flavor kind of bounces between Carter Hall and SWR. Burns ok and loads easy. Nothing to write home about……just kinda meh. Of course, this is solely my take on it.

Reactions: Elric

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I don't care for the really cheap stuff like Smoker's Pride, it seems almost like a cigarette to me. I don't smoke a pipe for the nicotine so it does nothing for me.

The other OTCs I don't particularly care for, but they don't come across as rough and harsh with chemically tastes like the cheap options do, such as Smoker's Pride, Gambler, etc

Reactions: JOHN72 and yanoJL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Velvet fruity? I've never gotten that much taste from it. For bag tobacco, I like Daughters and Ryan and OHM. For codger blends I like Sir Walter Raleigh original and aromatic, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Edward G. Robinson, Granger, Mixture 79, and others. I don't care for Half-and-Half, which has harsh edges, nor Prince Albert, which has too much cocoa. I like cocoa, but not in tobacco.

coys

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2022
Missouri
I have recently tried all the codger blends I have been able to obtain in a pouch or in bulk form.

Unfortunately I started with a bag of Gambler, which I never finished. Bleh

I was neutral on Prince Albert or Carter Hall... better, but not much there.

Sir Walter Raleigh is better still, but not interesting.

With Half and Half and St. Bruno I like the pouch note, but the flavor and aroma I didn't like.

The best one I have found is the Sutliff Ready Rubbed Match, which is supposed to match Edgeworth. I never tried the original but this one stands above the other codgers IMO.

Ky pipemaster

Lurker
Dec 7, 2022
Velvet fruity? I've never gotten that much taste from it. For bag tobacco, I like Daughters and Ryan and OHM. For codger blends I like Sir Walter Raleigh original and aromatic, Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, Edward G. Robinson, Granger, Mixture 79, and others. I don't care for Half-and-Half, which has harsh edges, nor Prince Albert, which has too much cocoa. I like cocoa, but not in tobacco.
the Velvet got a lot better after some dry time the pouch i got was as wet as chew when i first opened it for a couple of days.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'll say what I have said lord knows how many times: Smoke the best tobacco you can afford in the best pipes you can afford. Being frugal is fine; don't be cheap.
If it comes in one pound bags and is available for $20 or less, I won't buy it. Much of that stuff is RYO tobacco relabeled to avoid the penalties that were attached to RYO a few years back.
Carter Hall, Prince Al, Granger, Half & Half, and so on, used to be referred to by John Paton (whose blends were offered by 4Noggins, back when that was a good outfit to deal with) as American Classics. They have been around a very long time. They are classic "all-day smokes" - not overly complex, not overly strong, but interesting enough to want to repeat. They should not be denigrated for being readily available. And $50 a pound is still pretty inexpensive. puffy

Reactions: JOHN72

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
“American Classics. They have been around a very long time. They are classic "all-day smokes" - not overly complex, not overly strong, but interesting enough to want to repeat. They should not be denigrated for being readily available.” - @judcole

EXACTLY! ☝️

By example: Wild Turkey 101 punches waaaaay above its weight among bourbons; yet occupies the lower shelf among hyped small batch bourbons of today. Your loss for not tasting this long time gem.

I’d buy an American Classic tobacco regardless of price to popular small blending houses. Quality, Taste and uniformity from tub to tin are the mainstay of recipes that have stood the test of time.

I’m enjoying 3 half bowls this morning left from yesterday. I enjoy these side to side comparisons. The Winchester tasted phenomenal. When I set that aside Pegasus provided a now familiar comforting experience. But as I’m writing this, I’m clenching a simple Rossi Sandblast containing Granger and the flavor just makes me grin. That’s really all it’s about.

Last edited:

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I’ve had the Rich Taste and the Mellow Taste. I found both to be enjoyable, simple blends. Surprisingly tasty and characteristically mild and easy going. For the folks that snub tobacco for it being “tobacco” I just shake my head.

Btw, Rich Taste isn’t available by the bag any longer, but it is sold in 1.5 ounce pouches. It’s not something I’d buy to replace my current OTC choices, but I certainly wouldn’t look down at anyone for whom it really sings. Enjoy!

Reactions: Briar Lee

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I smoke the blue bag vanilla stuff, sometimes frequently, because I like it for what it is. The black cavendish is downright decent, too.

It's like dessert - a fine confection from the bakery is a true delight, but sometimes I'm gonna eat a Little Debbie.

I wouldn't expect magic, but I think blends like that make for a good cellar filler/time killer.

WVOldFart

Lifer
Sep 1, 2021
Eastern panhandle, WV
I believe that most blends today are just trying to create a new mouse trap. If you want to experience what pipe smoking was and is today you should try the Codger blends. They are what has kept pipe smoking going for the last hundred years. The new blends have expanded and brought in a new age of pipe smoker, but the Codger blends made it what it is. I enjoy Codger blends on their own merits, but I also like to experiment with them too. I have just enjoyed a MOLINA Barrasso pipe with a 50/50 mix of Granger and Virginia Gold Black Cavendish. Very satisfying.

Smoke Wagon

Can't Leave
Dec 3, 2022
“American Classics. They have been around a very long time. They are classic "all-day smokes" - not overly complex, not overly strong, but interesting enough to want to repeat. They should not be denigrated for being readily available.” - @judcole

EXACTLY! ☝️

By example: Wild Turkey 101 punches waaaaay above its weight among bourbons; yet occupies the lower shelf among hyped small batch bourbons of today. Your loss for not tasting this long time gem.

Wild Turkey 101 is excellent. I tell people this and they turn their nose up. Fine. More for me!

• Love
Reactions: Grangerous

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I believe that most blends today are just trying to create a new mouse trap. If you want to experience what pipe smoking was and is today you should try the Codger blends. They are what has kept pipe smoking going for the last hundred years. The new blends have expanded and brought in a new age of pipe smoker, but the Codger blends made it what it is. I enjoy Codger blends on their own merits, but I also like to experiment with them too. I have just enjoyed a MOLINA Barrasso pipe with a 50/50 mix of Granger and Virginia Gold Black Cavendish. Very satisfying.
I can’t agree any more. I enjoy trying new blends or revisiting and I really do enjoy them. But then I’ll light one of my OTC’s and the taste is amplified. I’m smoking now. I just finished a half flake of Peterson University in a narrow cob with a cup of tea. I switched to Granger and there was immediate satisfaction. I could’ve filled a bowl of SWR, or Carter Hall or Prince Albert, or Velvet, or Half n Half and the result would’ve been the same. Melt into my chair, relax and not have to think. The flavors are all phenomenal for as mild and well behaved these are. Call me crazy, but to me… these are the blends.

As for mixing and matching them and experimenting? I used to do it. But no longer. I like them as they come. Years ago, a favorite mix was MacBarren VA #1 and Carter Hall — a great morning blend with coffee.

Long live STG and I hope they continue to produce all of the Classics. — they do a fabulous job with flavor and consistently.