PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

thefrugalpipe

Lurker
Mar 20, 2022
East Bay CA
I recently purchased a new meerschaum pipe. And after the 2nd bowl, it has a very chemical smell. It’s my 2nd meerschaum. My 1st has only tobacco odor. I can’t say wether it’s true block, or pressed. It was advertised as block. It just seems like even pressed shouldn’t have this bad of a smell. I felt sick the next day, though that may have been an infection workin with the doc to figure that out. In the mean time, I’m afraid to smoke it… anyone else have any similar experiences?

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I have a meerschaum that still smells briny and earthy even after having smoked 50ish bowls out of it. It doesn’t bother me much though and it doesn’t impart any obtrusive flavor to the tobacco. I think some of the newer block meerschaum just kind of smells like that.

Jun 23, 2019
I recently purchased a new meerschaum pipe. And after the 2nd bowl, it has a very chemical smell. It’s my 2nd meerschaum. My 1st has only tobacco odor. I can’t say wether it’s true block, or pressed. It was advertised as block. It just seems like even pressed shouldn’t have this bad of a smell. I felt sick the next day, though that may have been an infection workin with the doc to figure that out. In the mean time, I’m afraid to smoke it… anyone else have any similar experiences?

That's a new meerschaum for you. It has that 'sea taste' for a couple of bowls, it's more noticeable for some than others. Just luck of the genetic draw.

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
I've got an older meerschaum from the early 70's that I just started to smoke a few months ago and it has an odd taste to it. I haven't smoked it a lot because of that. I'll try to smoke it out, but have seen online that others have used activated charcoal and put that and the stummel in a mason jar and sealed it for days to remove whatever it is that produces the taste/smell. If I can't smoke it out then I'll try that. So you're not alone.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Sometimes the old meerschaums have that 'wet rain coat/damp meter cupboard' taste due to being stored somewhere damp like an attic. I find that leaving them to air out in a warm room followed by smoking the piss out of them cures those issues. I have not smoked a new meerschaum in so many years I have forgotten what they taste like, although the comment about chalk or aspirin flavors makes a dim light bulb go off in my brain.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
the low-tide taste and smell will go away eventually, although I agree that it can be tough to take. I greatly prefer briar but keep a couple of Meers for sentimental reasons and holidays. Others love them. No right or wrong.

Reactions: anotherbob

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I also recognized that odd smell from my first meerschaum. I thought it was the beeswax coating. My 2nd meerschaum didn't smell as bad, but my 1st still has it even after about 20 smokes or so.