PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
I'm new to smoking a pipe. I have been looking for a great smelling tobacco like my paw-paw used to smoke. Just the other day a friend of mine gave me a pipe and I smelled the bowl and it smelled GREAT. I asked him what kind of tobacco he smoked in it and he said he didn't remember.
Is it possible to smell a bowl and tell what kind of tobacco was smoked in it? I have smoked a few bowls and it just smells like and ash tray afterward. Like I said, newbie here!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
The only thing I can get from smelling the bowl after smoking is what type of tobacco was smoked in it. Like a Latakia blend, Virginia blend, Aromatic blend, etc.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Smell my finger!
Just kidding.
Now you just made me smell my bowl too. It actually didn't smell too bad.
I guess it would be intriguing to be given a pipe that smells great and want to know what gave it that smell, and frustrating to not be able to find out.
Will your friend agree to undergo hypnosis?
Here's our resident hypnotist:

http://pipesmagazine.com/pipe-smoking-females-girls-smoking-pipes-pipe-babes/?album=8&photo=315
Seriously though, the good news is that there are tons of good tobaccos to try.
The thing with "great smelling tobaccos" is that many of them can burn your tongue. This is commonly referred to as tongue bite.
Python, what was the aromatic we were discussing this weekend? We need to recommend it to triprolo.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Kevin Said: Python, what was the aromatic we were discussing this weekend? We need to recommend it to triprolo.
Right off the top of my head, I don't remember. We talked about so much I am having difficulty remembering everything, lol.
What were we doing when we were talking about it? That might help trigger my memory.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
He might go for hypnosis if your resident hypnotist is HER!!!! Lol. Heck, can I join him?
I would love to know the tobacco you guys were talking about if you can remember. I am familiar with tongue bite. We met a couple of months ago.;)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Now that I see your avatar picture I recognize you triprolo.
Bob, we were walking in the smoking room in Richmond. Just back from dinner, walking away from the bar, smoking.
It's coming back to me now. I think I was smoking Anniversary Kake and commented how good it was. You said that is how an aromatic should be made ... or did we say that about Firedance? LOL.
Anyway, triprolo needs recommendations for aromatics that won't fry his tongue off.
Captain Black might work as an inexpensive, mild, tasty and easy to find one.
Middleton's Cherry Blend.
Here's some I reviewed:
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/mac-baren-club-blend-pipe-tobacco-review/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/savinelli-black-cavendish-pipe-tobacco-review/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/davidoff-danish-mixture-pipe-tobacco-review/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/mac-baren-navy-flake-pipe-tobacco-review/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/peterson-university-flake-pipe-tobacco-review/
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/mac-baren-mixture-scottish-blend/

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Now I remember! It was Samuel Gawith FireDance Flake. I remember because we had just got some drinks and were looking for some chairs to sit and smoke.
The Anniversary Kake was on Sunday while we were in the show working. Anniversary Kake is a great tobacco, but I consider it more of a VA/PER than an Aromatic.
You can't go wrong with either one.

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
Wow, thanks for the recommendations. I will surely give them a try. I've tried a drugstore version of black cavendish and a Captain Black cherry blend. Not cool at all.
Right now I'm smoking Meade Hall from my local Briar and Bean. It's not bad and my wife can stand it a little but it's still not up to what I'm, looking for.
I really appreciate your help and Kevin, thanks for this site. I'm trying figure out how to change my name so it says Kevin Riner rather than triprolo, but I don't think that's possible.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Kevin, here's two I smoked last night that I think you will like.
Apple Pipe Tobacco by John Middleton - Smells good and tastes good. Available at many mass-market places.
Bella Vanilla - new just released from CAO. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. It may be harder to find though as it just came out on the market.
Both of these pass the test of transferring the tin or pouch aroma to the smoking flavor and i got no tongue bite.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
I'll add two more: Connoisseur's Choice by Peterson's, a delightful cotton candy store of an aromatic; and Mellow Mack by McClelland, a quite perfect pecan-honey aromatic. Neither have any bite, and both smell terrific.

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
Now this is interesting. I've never really thought of Navy and Mixture from MacBaren as being aromatics. Now that you mention it though, it clicks. Even read their description, blended, cased, flavored, etc. There are days that I scare myself. hehe
I probably need to get out more.
Of course, I should probably explain that while I've been trying to enjoy a pipe off and on for the last 15 years, I tend to feel more like Mr. Holmes with his attempts to tame the violin. Long on effort, short on results. =)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Peter, yes at first I wasn't going to put those. I would say they are not 100% aromatics and they are not promoted as such. However, as you noticed, they are cased, albeit lightly.
So perhaps they are light aromatics and a good in between to graduate to English blends.

peter

Might Stick Around
Oct 8, 2009
Sounds good to me!
I must say, this has been a great thread. For years I've avoided most aromatics like the plague due to some bad experiences early in my pipe smoking. Tend to favor the heavier English ones, but I'm inspired to go back and try some of these. Thanks for the great advice!
Peter

triprolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2009
TN
Firstly, thanks Kevin for changing my name. Really appreciate that.
Secondly, those sound like some really good recommendations. I can't wait to give them a try. Thank you for taking your time to help out.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
I swab my pipes every night with whisky. So I think that would taint the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.