PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I just fill my pipe and smoke. As many have already said, just make sure your tobacco is nice and dry and smoke slowly if you can. Don't worry about forming an even cake or smoking all the way to the bottom. Many here (me included) actually don't even form a thick cake and wipe out the bowl after every smoke. If it smokes poorly after 10 or so smokes then I'll throw it in the trash. I've only had to do that a couple of times. I just can't bring myself to trade in a sub-par pipe for some other poor soul to suffer through. I don't buy expensive pipes so I view them as borderline disposable but I'm sure everyone has differing views on this.

Reactions: JOHN72 and jiminy

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Briar is extremely resistant to absorbing moisture. Run a pipe cleaner through the pipe and wipe the chamber with a paper towel and it's ready to go. I often smoke the same pipe multiple times per day for weeks at a time before switching.
I really can't understand why anyone would think that briar would absorb more moisture than any other wood? It should really absorb less since it's so hard. People saying this must really have no clue

spike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 21, 2009
I suspect I’ve been smoking a pipe longer (50 years) than most of you youngsters. I’ve used the old honey treatment and gradual bowl filling (1/2, then 3/4, then full) many years. Never had a problem, even with my latest Rinaldo with bowl coating.

That said, you do what works for you; and enjoy your pipes.