PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That takes me back a couple of decades!
Yet, if it's solid- which they often are not- it's workable for all but streaming- No?

And what is the latency? (Ping) that can wreak havoc even with much higher speeds.

Reactions: JOHN72

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
To answer some questions.
Yes, rural Wales. I suppose I should be grateful I have electricity.

Latency 17MS. I don't know what that is.

I haven't got fibre

Reactions: mingc

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
To answer some questions.
Yes, rural Wales. I suppose I should be grateful I have electricity.

Latency 17MS. I don't know what that is.

I haven't got fibre
That's a decently low number. It's the time it takes from clicking on a link to it being received on the other end. I am sure there's a more precise answer....

Other than streaming, is the connection serviceable?

Reactions: JOHN72

Flatfish

Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Its all in working order. As good as its ever been.
It is a little slower today. Download is normally about 3 and a half.
Conversation with my work colleagues was difficult today. I had to turn my camera off to help the audio.

Piping Abe

Oct 27, 2021
North Dakota, USA
Anyone that lives in a rural area, get Starlink. There was no internet companies where I used to live. Starlink was a lifesaver. You may have to wait, but its worth it, when theres no other option.

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
We used to have around 6-8 mbps, but now we are supposed to have 100 mbps, but we actually have maybe 30 mbps...tops.
We live very rural, 99.9% off grid. The only connection to the "outside world" we have is our internet connection.
We had to pay to have the line run to our home. There were no phone lines on our road until we had them put in. We don't have cell service either...we have a landline. We also fo not have a computer or cable tv. Any entertainment comes from the internet.
I use a $50 Kindle or my cellphone to access the internet. My wife has her phone and something bigger than my Kindle. :)
We actually HAVE a computer, but haven't used it in years. Its been boxed up sinse 2017. I do have a computer in my veterinary clinic but its used only for work.

Aug 1, 2012
I would guess that most of the UK is still reliant on copper telephone cables.

Such places as London got fibre almost as soon as it was available :rolleyes:

Here in west Cornwall we are not likely so see fibre until at least 2026....if we're lucky.

Jay.
You were lucky to have a lake intermet! There were a hundred-and-fifty of us livin’ in a shoebox in the middle of the road! Our Internet was shouting at passing lorrys to send messages.

(With apologies to Monty Python)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I assume you mean internet speed. That’s slow but adequate for many things. I’m fortunate, usually around 500 MBS.
If 30 Mbs is what you refer to, it is just fine for two people streaming if it's rock solid. I had that for years, and no problem. Now ca. 200 Mbs which is way overkill.

Now, if you have kids or guests who are gamers and streamers, more, more, more!