PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
I think I'm turning a corner in my race to codger-dom pipe smoking where I am starting to really notice the difference in a well made pipe. I am building a decent little collection -nothing over a hundred dollars- but I instinctively grab certain pipes for specific circumstances and any time I feel like I'll have time to really enjoy the bowl I tend to grab this humble Morgan Bones rhody bulldog(?). It's building a nice deep patina just from use. Its a somewhat rare for the line 9mm filter version and was around 45 bucks, which can be said for a nicer Grabow, but for drilling and geometry the Bones beats them soundly. Still factory pipes I think, but something more like what the knife world calls "mid-tech" or semi custom. Anyway, guess this is just a show and tell before work so, have a good one everybody.
KIMG0428~2.JPG

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
My "sleeper" favorite is this little Kapp-Royal 998 I picked up here a year or so ago from @captainsousie - a true little workhorse of a pipe. View attachment 256515
I like that. I started out very serious about straight pipes with saddle stems, but am really starting to enjoy a half bent. Wish someone made a "quarter bent." I'm sure it's all out there..on the spectrum...

Also, now I'm wondering if this thread could have legs! What's your "Sleeper Favorite"?

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
I like that. I started out very serious about straight pipes with saddle stems, but am really starting to enjoy a half bent. Wish someone made a "quarter bent." I'm sure it's all out there..on the spectrum...

Also, now I'm wondering if this thread could have legs! What's your "Sleeper Favorite"?
Lots of quarter bents out there! A nice husky one is a Pete Sherlock The Strand, but lots of choices.

I have a few straight pipes I like, but just a few, it's not my favorite for clenching while doing other things as I sit. Just to hold the pipe and smoke and nothing else, they work better for me, but I'm usually doing something (like right now). Full/half/quarter bent all nice, but even among those some balance or fit better than others.

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
It's weird to admit, but my best smoking pipes are probably my two Missouri Meerschaum bent Country Gentlemans with C type bent Forever Stems and my Dr. Grabow Lark that a put a Savinelli 6mm adapter in. They may not be as elegant looking as my Savinellis or Petersons, but they're really fantastic smokers! If I'm being totally honest with myself they're probably my favorite and most smoked pipes in my collection, and I've enjoyed that little Dr. Grabow Lark so much that I've got another Lark (smooth finished this time) and the smallest pipe in their Royalton line on the way that'll be arriving in the mail tomorrow.puffy

IMG20231022150915~2.jpg
IMG20231020143514~2.jpg
20231016022215_IMG_3113~2.JPG

Last edited:

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
It's weird to admit, but my best smoking pipes are probably my two Missouri Meerschaum bent Country Gentlemans with C type bent Forever Stems and my Dr. Grabow Lark that a put a Savinelli 6mm adapter in. They may not be as elegant looking as my Savinellis or Petersons, but they're really fantastic smokers! If I'm being totally honest with myself they're probably my favorite and most smoked pipes in my collection, and I've enjoyed that little Dr. Grabow Lark so much that I've got another Lark (smooth finished this time) and the smallest pipe in their Royalton line on the way that'll be arriving in the mail tomorrow.puffy

View attachment 256989
View attachment 256990
View attachment 256991
Totally agree. I have both the MM's and a Lark. The MM's are incredible smokers especially the ones I've somewhat modified. Although I have gotten away from doing anything to the bottom of the bowl. I'm digging how they fill in with ash over time. The Lark I have is a very thin and very nicely done smooth, but it does get hot and since I'm such a clencher I don't go for it very often.

obc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2023
Something about the drilling on those bones pipes makes them smoke amazingly well IMO. I had a bulldog that I loved but left it by the river one time never to be seen again.
Agreed. That's kind of what I was kludging on about originally - think it's the drilling what makes em special. I only have two, but their absolutely some of my easiest smoking pipes. Definitely getting a few more as Im starting to enjoy filterless more. Hate that damn Playboy logo though.

Reactions: Tate

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Totally agree. I have both the MM's and a Lark. The MM's are incredible smokers especially the ones I've somewhat modified. Although I have gotten away from doing anything to the bottom of the bowl. I'm digging how they fill in with ash over time. The Lark I have is a very thin and very nicely done smooth, but it does get hot and since I'm such a clencher I don't go for it very often.

I think I may have to revise my recommendation for a Dr. Grabow Lark as a good inexpensive pipe. The one pictured above that I've been smoking and enjoying for awhile is an early 2000's Lark from back when Lane owned Dr. Grabow and has nice thick walls that keep it smoking cool, but the new current production Lark I just got in the mail today is very thin and feels a lot cheaper. The quality seems to have gone downhill enough that I don't think I'd recommend a current production Dr. Grabow Lark.

On the flip side, the Dr. Grabow Royalton I got in the same order is outstandingly constructed and I can hardly believe it's a $45 pipe!

20231030231625_IMG_3359~2.JPG

The briar is quite thick and has a beautiful grain and finish, and unlike the cheap plastic stems on the other Dr. Grabow lines the Royaltons have a really solid and nice lucite stem that feels every bit as high quality as the lucite stems on my $100+ Savinellis. It smokes cool and dry, is cleanly drilled, and is all around just a shockingly nice pipe for $45! Based on my initial impressions and first couple smokes I'd definitely recommend a Dr. Grabow Royalton to anyone who wants a really nice pipe that won't break the bank. My only regret is that if I would have known how pretty the grain and finish were going to be I would have bought the smooth version instead of the rusticated one!

On a side note, the original post in this thread got me feeling curious so I decided to put in an order for a Morgan Bones Milan pipe! I've never owned a Morgan Bones before but I always love a good budget friendly workhorse pipe so I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it when it arrives.puffy

Last edited:

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Reactions: Chasing Embers
For some reason, I just have a hard time buying a pipe for under $300. I'm not a fan of saving money, because, what the hell do I do with all of it then? puffy
I've never been a big fan of the whole Henry Ford, make a bunch, so that you can sell for less. I am more of a luxury goods type of guy.

But, I am glad that you guys all dig these. Maybe they will come up with a more expensive line, and I can give them a try.