PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Hey there folks! My name is Skippy and I have a problem. Tobacco Acquisition Disorder affects us all to one degree or another, and oh boy have I ever had a bad case of it!

I'm going into my third year of pipe smoking at this point and my cellar has reached just shy of 100 blends stashed away in 8 ounce Ball jars or unopened tins, and I'd really like to thin it down to just the ones I enjoy the most. After sorting through them all there were 28 blends that I knew I had no desire to ever smoke again, so they went into an sell/giveaway box, but that still left 68 blends that I never really smoked enough of to properly evaluate.

So, I decided to make a year and a half long project out of it and every Sunday pick a blend in my cellar and smoke that blend every day for a week. If I'm not sick of it and am still enjoying smoking it after a week then it's a keeper, and if not then it goes in the sell/giveaway box; but either way there will be a review of it posted in this thread at the end of the week!

Thus far the only blend I've determined to be definite keeper is Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia, and I am allowing myself to smoke verified keepers for my second or third smoke of the day after having the blend of the week so I can continue enjoying favorite blends while I work my way through this mountain of jars.

It'll be a long process going through them all, but this thread will chronicle the journey and I figure smoking a blend every day for a week should be enough time to properly evaluate it. When the project is done in a year and a half or so I'll have a much more manageable cellar, and a pretty solid idea of what I'd like to deep cellar for long-term enjoyment!

I hope you'll come along and join me on this journey, and share your thoughts on each week's blend of the week as well if you've ever had it before! My first blend of the week is Gawith Hoggarth Jamaican Flake (formerly Rum Flake) and you can expect a thorough review of it on Saturday along with an announcement for what next week's blend of the week will be!puffy

20240822235324_IMG_7740~2.JPG

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
Should be fun to watch, thanks for sharing. I definitely could use some narrowing down, but even the blends I truly enjoy I don’t think I’d enjoy them near as much if I smoked them exclusively for a week (I usually carry 4-5 blend for a week in my lunchbox, and then smoke one or two different blends after work every day).

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Should be fun to watch, thanks for sharing. I definitely could use some narrowing down, but even the blends I truly enjoy I don’t think I’d enjoy them near as much if I smoked them exclusively for a week (I usually carry 4-5 blend for a week in my lunchbox, and then smoke one or two different blends after work every day).
It looks like he's just committing to smoking the selected blend at least once a day for a week, not exclusively that blend for the whole week.

He wrote that he will be "allowing myself to smoke verified keepers for my second or third smoke of the day after having the blend of the week so I can continue enjoying favorite blends while I work my way through this mountain of jars." Which indicates he'll also be smoking his favorites, after he's tried the blend on the potential chopping block. Unless my reading comprehension is failing me.

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
It looks like he's just committing to smoking the selected blend at least once a day for a week, not exclusively that blend for the whole week.

He wrote that he will be "allowing myself to smoke verified keepers for my second or third smoke of the day after having the blend of the week so I can continue enjoying favorite blends while I work my way through this mountain of jars." Which indicates he'll also be smoking his favorites, after he's tried the blend on the potential chopping block. Unless my reading comprehension is failing me.
Sounds like your comprehension is better than mine this morning😆