PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

GothPiper

Might Stick Around
Jun 28, 2021
Las Vegas, NV
The recent review of the aromatic version of SWR made me want to try my hand at the original. And so, I give you:

Sir Walter Raleigh:

Blend: Burley

Tin note: Predominantly bread notes. With a bit of raisins. Raisin bread, basically; just not as sweet.

Impressions: Not really an aromatic, this is more of just a lightly-topped burley, and might be my favorite OTC/codger blend I've had thus far. Unlike many other OTCs & aromatics I've tried, this one does not at all taste like it was made with lower quality tobacco (when compared to more premium brands). Hints of sweetness on the lips here and there, and hints of cocoa occasionally too, plus that signature nuttiness from the burley. Some have mentioned anise, but I never detected anything like that myself.
Overall a simple, flat, uncomplicated yet very enjoyable blend. Can bite a tiny bit, but nothing like the SWRA (which really is a different animal entirely from this). Hardly needed any drying – almost just right directly out of the pouch. Note also that the cut of this requires almost no pressure whatsoever to fill the bowl - just a gravity fill and nothing more with this one.

Verdict: I can definitely understand how folks smoked this all day long back in the day. This one is a consistently enjoyable, predictable experience, and has become my favorite of the "American Classics", as some folks here refer to them. To be fair, I haven't yet tried any of the more high-quality aged burleys (like Solani), but for the price, this can't be beat in my opinion.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
In Humansville Missouri of fifty years ago Prince Albert was the most popular brand of Classic (codger) burley followed closely by Velvet and Sir Walter Raleigh third. Then came Half and Half, and the rest.

SWR used to come with free cigarette papers if you asked.

But unlike PA and Velvet in my day SWR didn’t have choice of pocket tin or foil package, just the foil package.

I didn’t know it was an aromatic back then, and it just barely is.

SWR is good, cool, sweet smoking burley with a little top dressing.

I just bought another big can of it, in case they raise taxes.

That’s as good an an excuse as any to keep one of the old standard drug store blends around.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
SWR is one of my favorite so-called over-the-counter blends, along with the aromatic version, and Granger. I'm sorry to say, I think its 14 oz. tub may be replaced by the 7 oz. tin, increasing the per ounce price at the same time. I did lay in a 14 oz. tub before I noticed this seems to be happening. SWR is a decidedly tame blends, but not so much as Velvet, but it has a good burley base and is sometimes just right for the moment. When I want more of an experience, I'll smoke any of a range of C&D burley blends.

MidnightPuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 6, 2020
Ohio
I smoked through 3 pouches of the stuff while Carter Hall was unavailable due to the production switch. Like most codger blends It's a smooth all day smoker. Not my first choice of OTC's but I still have a tub of it on hand just in case.

burleybreath

Lifer
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
A friend of mine's father smoked this exclusively. He always had a pipe in his mouth, even when running a push lawn mower. At the dinner table he would set it aside, and, presumably, when showering. Seeing him without it looked weird, requiring a second glance to make sure it was he. He had emigrated from England to the U.S. sometime in the 1930s.

My point? Not sure there is one, although the possibility of his prefering SWR to what tobacco was available in Britain at the time has always intrigued me. I like the taste. The few times I tried it I couldn't get it to burn right. The cut seems to vary. (Bear in mind, though, that I don't know what I'm talking about--I'm an obvious SWR dilletante.)

Paul lec

Lifer
May 28, 2020
I also just got a tub of SWR. I have been alternating between SWR and Carter Hall for the past few weeks as an early smoke, right now I'm at a toss up, but enjoy both with coffee as a first smoke.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I like SWR regular but I just don’t smoke it very often. I’ve noticed on the forum, that folks who like SWR also like Carter Hall. Both are a tad sweeter. Conversely, folks that like Prince Albert over CH also like Granger. I could be wrong, just an observation.

I have a suspicion, and I’ve shared this before… that SWR and Granger shared the same base blend. They are topped differently, but smoke eerily similar to me. So similar that I rarely reach for SWR but if Granger became unavailable I might.

I used to prefer Carter Hall to Prince Albert and could never understand how anyone could enjoy PA over CH. Today, it’s the opposite for me!

I enjoy a less sweet, nuttier burley. Pegasus, PA and Granger provide that certain something I crave. Granger being the sweetest of my three fav burleys.

Great review of SWR. Long live all of the classic American OTC’s. There’s something there for everyone within the genre. — If you’re a burley fan.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I also just got a tub of SWR. I have been alternating between SWR and Carter Hall for the past few weeks as an early smoke, right now I'm at a toss up, but enjoy both with coffee as a first smoke.
Because of Grangerous's post, I bought a tub & like it. Always had CH, bought SWR & liked it, but Granger is pretty goon, buy a tub.
Bet you like it.

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
Used to be SWR was a low priced "drug store" tobacco. Seems to me that for some reason it now costs almost as much as a fine imported English blend. Wonder why???

Reactions: sandollars
Used to be SWR was a low priced "drug store" tobacco. Seems to me that for some reason it now costs almost as much as a fine imported English blend. Wonder why???

Supply/Demand. Same reason why they are going to 7 ounce tins; to bring more money to the bottom line.

I'm not sure, but would bet it's one of the most popular tobaccos in the world. I bet they sell a lot of it..