Sillem's Commodore / John Ayelesbury's Commander / Robert McConnell's Latakia Flake - Identical?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

9 Fresh Castello Pipes
2 Fresh Scott Klein Pipes
New Cigars
18 Fresh Estate Pipes
24 Fresh Nørding Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Just out of curiosity.

I'm aware that these are all manufactured by Kolhasse & Kopp and I have tins of each, all circular tins and recent productions (not the older square tins). They all have exactly the same tin note and look/feel.

All of them appear to be a Ky/Cav/Lat blend and seem to have a similar topping/scent.

I've only smoked the R McConnell's Latakia Flake so far, but I just wondered if anybody else had tried all three.

Reactions: canucklehead

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
I’m not sure but my understanding is that the Silems blends are now being produced under the JA label.
Yep, that's for sure.

What was Sillem's Commodore Flake is now JA Commander Flake.

I should have phrased it differently - I was wondering if they were identical to what's labeled as Robert McConnell "Latakia Flake". They smell and look identical, I just smoked some of the Commodore, and it's extremely similar to the RMc Latakia Flake... but that's just my first impression.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
Makes sense. Certainly possible. How is the McConnell?
Well, I have 5 tins of Sillem's and 5 tins of R.McC's LF, So far I've only had about 3 bowls or so of the Latakia Flake (and a couple of the Commodore), but it's proving to be very good. Nice dark and crumbly, fragile flakes.

Stronger on the DF Kentucky and an almost Revor-like topping. I just can't seem to get Revor Plug here reliably, and had read it was a good match and it's currently filling in for Revor pretty well.

It has a sort of Earl Grey tea (bergamot) note in the tin. Mostly DFK but Latakia acts to smooth it out and it has a nice 'cologne' hint to the taste. Mostly earthy and floral in character, good level of complexity. Quite bold in flavour and vitamin N.

I'll have to do some more side by side comparisons but I do suspect it's the same flake from K&K with a different label.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
I've often wondered if Sillems Councilor Flake was the same as Solani 633. Both are made by K&K. They look identical. Both VaPer flakes. I finally decided after smoking them side by side that the Solani has a sweeter topping (the EU ingredient list says apple juice). But they are very very close.

Reactions: Mtlpiper

Peter Turbo

Lifer
Oct 18, 2021
CT, USA
yeah i noticed this yesterday when looking at Sillems 1695 Flake. Pretty sure its the same as John Aylesbury 1776 Flake, which isnt even listed on Tobaccoreviews.com

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Personally, yes. I think that Commodore Flake and McConnell’s Latakia Flake are the same blend. I haven’t had the other one though.

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
You make a strong argument for less blends. It does no favor to pipesmokers when the same tobacco is put into tins with different labels (said to represent different companies). These labels are supposed to represent different blenders, but sadly that is no longer the case in this type of situation. When the small blenders are bought and relocated to the large factories, they may continue to exist in name (and label) only.

Reactions: hawky454

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
It may have something to do with regulations in a particular market. There have been a lot of name changes, etc. There are a lot of blending lines but relatively few manufacturers so between marketing and regulations we may never know the truth of the actual situation.

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I agree about the name changing. Sillems never made their tobacco, and now they have none. It’s all under John Aylesbury now.

Reactions: ofafeather

pauls456

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2020
Tucson, Arizona
I believe tins continue to be produced and distributed under the Sillems label. Probably at least some of these are blends that are unique (more or less) to the Sillems label, but others are quite obviously not.

Reactions: hawky454

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
I believe tins continue to be produced and distributed under the Sillems label. Probably at least some of these are blends that are unique (more or less) to the Sillems label, but others are quite obviously not.
Not to be disagreeable. Sillems is done with tobacco as far as I am aware. They will continue with accessories but not baccy.

it’s now under John Aylesbury name. Same blends. Still same blending company. Just not the Sillems name.