PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
As someone who lives in Ontario, this is the first time I've heard of this law, and I suspect it's a bylaw.

As for the comparisons between tobacco and cannabis, that's a little tiresome by now.

@georged , I don't think Trudeau had anything to do with this law/bylaw
Yeah. Justin is all about the free market.

This post sponsored by CBC Radio One.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
The truth hurts. In Manitoba pot merchants are more common than convenience stores, finding a legitimate tobacconist is harder and harder to do. If more similar legislation appears here I will be protesting.
Yes it's unbelievable. Video cellar now sells cannabis. I think there's 6 shops within a 4 block radius of my house. The thing is with oversaturation the industry cannibalizes itself so a lot of these shops don't last more than a year

Reactions: HRPufnstuf

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
As for the comparisons between tobacco and cannabis, that's a little tiresome by now.
I agree it's tiresome but not wrong.
The lack of selection of legally available pipe tobacco and cigars in Canada is wild, especially when compared to the hundreds or thousands of varieties of cannabis available. And while my ability to buy whiskey is closely regulated and needs to be done through a government controlled entity with limited supply, I can buy all the gummies and weed I want from a university kid working in a pot shop designed to look like an Apple Store.
It's not about tobacco at all.
It's about having the freedom to make your own decisions and spend your hard earned money the way you want to.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The lack of selection of legally available pipe tobacco and cigars in Canada is wild, especially when compared to the hundreds or thousands of varieties of cannabis available. And while my ability to buy whiskey is closely regulated and needs to be done through a government controlled entity with limited supply, I can buy all the gummies and weed I want from a university kid working in a pot shop designed to look like an Apple Store.

Oh, the irony...

H

HRPufnstuf

I'm not here to villify cannabis use, reactionary cannabis users are quite able to do that to themselves. My issue is the flagrant partisanship at work curtailing the sale of legitimate tobacco products. The Canadian government is only hurting themselves with this by hobbling one of their own greatest ca$h cows...tobacco sales.

The argument can be made that this is only ON legislation but inevitably national trends follow ON.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HRPufnstuf

I think it is worth noting that no response or detail on this matter has been provided by briarfriar. The initial post was his, after all.

briarfriar

Can't Leave
I think it is worth noting that no response or detail on this matter has been provided by briarfriar. The initial post was his, after all.
Sorry, but what is it you would want me to add?
I saw a post on Facebook, and shared it here in the relevant forum because it looks legit.
I am not located in Ontario, nor have any insight into its government other than a general understanding that individual liberty is in decline.

Reactions: Carol

GreatWhiteNorthPiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I saw a post on Facebook, and shared it here in the relevant forum because it looks legit.
I am not located in Ontario, nor have any insight into its government other than a general understanding that individual liberty is in decline.

As an Ontario resident, my understanding is that all tobacco retail outlets are governed under Province of Ontario legislation and regulations thereunder, including all retail signage and display rules, as are individual tobacco product packaging.

H

HRPufnstuf

I misread your post and was under the impression you were corporately connected to Victory. I appreciate your response, as well as the post. Thank-you for bringing it to light.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
Hot take.
To which liberties specifically are you referring?

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
I have no clue how things work in Canada, except that it works in French too. I have no clear idea how the province of Ontario do things. But I know a couple hours by car south there's all kinds of lobbyists doing all kinds of things to get all kinds of political ears.

I'm not upset at most of the situations here. Politicians hear the lobbyists, they don't hear common people. And the numbers the lobbyists give do look convincing. Blow up health benefits of legal THC, blow up possible tax incomes, sweep any health concerns away with a wave of the hand, mumble something about freedoms. Hype up the health concerns, hype up the healthcare costs, find a stat that says teen smoking is up, do not bring up any difference between pipes and cigarettes (cigars are pretty safe, they'll just get more expensive).

The pot people, the antis, the teacher's union, and the bicycle people are the biggest lobbyists around here.

H

HRPufnstuf

I have no clue how things work in Canada, except that it works in French too. I have no clear idea how the province of Ontario do things. But I know a couple hours by car south there's all kinds of lobbyists doing all kinds of things to get all kinds of political ears.

I'm not upset at most of the situations here. Politicians hear the lobbyists, they don't hear common people. And the numbers the lobbyists give do look convincing. Blow up health benefits of legal THC, blow up possible tax incomes, sweep any health concerns away with a wave of the hand, mumble something about freedoms. Hype up the health concerns, hype up the healthcare costs, find a stat that says teen smoking is up, do not bring up any difference between pipes and cigarettes (cigars are pretty safe, they'll just get more expensive).

The pot people, the antis, the teacher's union, and the bicycle people are the biggest lobbyists around here.
Here "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", in Japan, "the nail that stands out is hammered down". Thinking about a change of venue.

woodrow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 28, 2018
Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
The truth hurts. In Manitoba pot merchants are more common than convenience stores, finding a legitimate tobacconist is harder and harder to do. If more similar legislation appears here I will be protesting.
I’m in Saskatchewan, and I’m so tired of politicians telling me what I can put in my body. I’ve smoked a pipe for years without any medical problems. Never inhale. And to get any tobacco I have to contact a guy who knows a guy, who knows a guy.
But you can buy weed, you can vape, you can chew nicorettes till your dizzy. The legislation never made any sense to begin with.
The signage thing is actually a law in some of the EU countries too.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
As long as they don't tell me they have to watch me poop to make sure I'm using a government approved toilet paper, I'm sort of okay. I know what I drink.