PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
It's critically important to not confuse TAD with TUD.

And equally important to not confuse PTSD with PBSD (Psychiatry Bullshit Disorder).

PS: lest anyone misconstrue my comment (as so easily happens with this type of communication) I'm not suggesting that PTSD is BS...quite the opposite in fact. It's obviously a real thing such as in some combat veterans or victims of abuse. But, IMO, there are a lot of other BS psych diagnoses these days, especially in children.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
... (Psychiatry Bullshit Disorder).

Are you suggesting that the vast, fractal-style expansion of the number of recognized mental disorders over the years, and the fact that what is considered a disorder changes over time according to both political pressure(s) and societal fashion means that psychiatry is heavily populated with con artists and greedy types who know nothing they do can be proven wrong---simply "disputed" by other con artists and unethical greedy people? People who love the benefit$ of the title "doctor" with none of the drawbacks or risks inherent in producing something of substance?

How un-American of you, Mr. 64.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
TUD is a fancy way of saying nicotine addiction, which is a real thing. Nothing new here.
And fun fact when they give something a name like this it can make the difference between insurance covering treatments or not. Also another fun fact addiction doesn't have a solid medical definition. Which is a helpful thing to understand if you ever see doctors arguing about if something is addictive or if someone counts as an addict. My absolute favorite personal definitions of addiction are as follows...
1. Continuing use after clear issues and problems arise with use. I love that one because there are no junkies until they run out of money or product. Also by that definition most of us here aren't addicts until our significant others tell us we're spending too much money.
2. daily or near daily use that if discontinued causes a clear reduction in daily functionality (I ain't doing good work with out coffee and find not slapping people much harder without nicotine), that isn't explained by the general effects of the substance.
:) being human sure is interesting.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I must beg to differ somewhat regarding "TUD". In "official" medical diagnoses, Tobacco Use Disorder and Nicotine Dependence are two distinctly different things.

ANY tobacco use is considered a disorder...but is not the equivalent of a diagnosis of nicotine dependence.

With any substance (any drug, including alcohol), the diagnoses of use, abuse, and dependence are all separate categories...only dependence is considered "addiction". Interestingly it is only tobacco use that is considered a "disorder" simply by using it AT ALL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zero

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Effin' greed. The 3 poisons have been present within the world of men since the beginning, nothing new. It's up to the individual to wake up, be aware, and deal with it on a personal level. Be an island unto yourself...for fucks sake🤣
What are the three poisons? (Greed, hatred, and delusion)

Reactions: brian64

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It all falls under compulsive buying. Buying things makes me feel good. My pipe funds were never safe and have recently be reallocated.

Reactions: JOHN72

Fuelman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2024
Indiana
And fun fact when they give something a name like this it can make the difference between insurance covering treatments or not. Also another fun fact addiction doesn't have a solid medical definition. Which is a helpful thing to understand if you ever see doctors arguing about if something is addictive or if someone counts as an addict. My absolute favorite personal definitions of addiction are as follows...
1. Continuing use after clear issues and problems arise with use. I love that one because there are no junkies until they run out of money or product. Also by that definition most of us here aren't addicts until our significant others tell us we're spending too much money.
2. daily or near daily use that if discontinued causes a clear reduction in daily functionality (I ain't doing good work with out coffee and find not slapping people much harder without nicotine), that isn't explained by the general effects of the substance.
:) being human sure is interesting.
Will insurance cover PAD and TAD? That is the question. The only way to help with the addiction is to keep purchasing pipes and tobacco. I am not a doctor though.

Reactions: Sigmund