PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
Quite recently I bought a haul of 17 old pipes for restoration, which I picked up as a hobby pretty recently. Two Loewe pipes were among them and I like the look and feel of both of them. I have found the information about dating of Loewe pipes a bit confusing so I'm not sure if they are Haymarket era pipes or not. The smaller one I think is most likely of the two to be pre- or early civic. It has no series name under the logo stamp and it is stamped SPECIAL GRAIN on the bottom. The larger pipe has no discernable logo on the mouthpiece, ORIGINAL stamped under the logo and MOLESWORTH on the bottom.

special grain.jpgMolesworth.jpg

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
Quite recently I bought a haul of 17 old pipes for restoration, which I picked up as a hobby pretty recently. Two Loewe pipes were among them and I like the look and feel of both of them. I have found the information about dating of Loewe pipes a bit confusing so I'm not sure if they are Haymarket era pipes or not. The smaller one I think is most likely of the two to be pre- or early civic. It has no series name under the logo stamp and it is stamped SPECIAL GRAIN on the bottom. The larger pipe has no discernable logo on the mouthpiece, ORIGINAL stamped under the logo and MOLESWORTH on the bottom.

View attachment 187623View attachment 187624
The MOLESWORTH is most likely pre-civic as well. You can tell if the mouthpiece is original by whether the button looks hand-made or not. Does the slot have smooth edges and a “rounder” bit than say, a Savinelli? Then it’s Pre-Civic. The Civic era usually has a logo that is more of a square on the stem as well.
That said, your Special Grain is a peach!

Reactions: marlow-se

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
The MOLESWORTH is most likely pre-civic as well. You can tell if the mouthpiece is original by whether the button looks hand-made or not. Does the slot have smooth edges and a “rounder” bit than say, a Savinelli? Then it’s Pre-Civic. The Civic era usually has a logo that is more of a square on the stem as well.
That said, your Special Grain is a peach!
It does look as you described. Thanks for the help! I'm very happy with both of them but the Special Grain is indeed lovely. A special beauty to me. Complete with box and sock as well.

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
I have secured 3 more beloved Loewe pipes. 2 are here and one is on its way back from the refurbisher’s.

The first is unmarked with name or series. That and the button lead me to put it somewhere in the 1920’s era. Looking at the 1910 catalog from the Loewe Packet, it is clearly a panel variant of the CHUBBY, with proportions matching that model in every respect. It is a ”quaint” one-off perhaps? It was unsmoked when I received it, which I have since eagerly corrected.

The second is not marked with a series shape, but does have a shape name stamped. TEMPLE. This is a long and graceful Group 2 with some fantastic birdseye. The TEMPLE does appear in the 1926 catalog and has that oval ”orific” button, so I would place it in the 1920s as well.
IMG_4082.jpeg
IMG_4084.jpeg
IMG_4083.jpeg

mattia76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 24, 2010
And here’s the 3rd. This is a ”Jarrow” model, one of the light-weights listed in the 1926 catalog for sure, and maybe others before, but alas, I am away from my Loewe packet right now to double check. There is no line of pipes listed either (Original, Centurion, etc) so that puts it in this era as well. Great smoker. The silver work is original, but the year hallmark has long since been buffed away. IMG_4301.jpeg
IMG_4300.jpeg

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
And here’s the 3rd. This is a ”Jarrow” model, one of the light-weights listed in the 1926 catalog for sure, and maybe others before, but alas, I am away from my Loewe packet right now to double check. There is no line of pipes listed either (Original, Centurion, etc) so that puts it in this era as well. Great smoker. The silver work is original, but the year hallmark has long since been buffed away. View attachment 231860
View attachment 231861
Looks like a 1923 “h” or 1925 “k” to me bro.

Edit: if it’s an “h”, it would be the earliest pipe I have seen with the model stamped on it

Last edited:
Reactions: RustiePyles CPG