PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
My two Ashton bent billiards. I really like both of these. They are both near the top of my list. Love the Cumberland, the traditional lines and proportions, and unique blasts. These two were both made in 2023 and show truly fantastic drilling, fit and finish, and the buttons are plenty good for me. (I did have an earlier example and do understand the large button thing people talk about) but these do not suffer from that.
The “old church” tanblast is a recent acquisition, a XX, which is funny, because it is about as close to size as the brindle XXX as you could get lol!
View attachment 278105View attachment 278106View attachment 278107
That light one is blowing my mind. How long and heavy are they?

Reactions: Seeleybc1

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My two Ashton bent billiards. I really like both of these. They are both near the top of my list. Love the Cumberland, the traditional lines and proportions, and unique blasts. These two were both made in 2023 and show truly fantastic drilling, fit and finish, and the buttons are plenty good for me. (I did have an earlier example and do understand the large button thing people talk about) but these do not suffer from that.
The “old church” tanblast is a recent acquisition, a XX, which is funny, because it is about as close to size as the brindle XXX as you could get lol!
View attachment 278105View attachment 278106View attachment 278107
Great looking Ashtons!

That's one gripe with Craig Ashtons, his X sizing is very inconsistent. You need to also consider pipe weight, when buying from the modern era.

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
It’s interesting…and goes to show how measuring pipes itself is a whole other subject lol, because the tan blast is actually just a touch larger dimensionally, both in overall length and bowl height. I’ll see if I can get my wife to help take a pic. I don’t have enough hands ! In the meantime, here’s the specs from the original SP.com measurements and listing.F4383CBF-8FAD-44F9-8A8B-5D9CD5F203A6.jpegE45E062A-680B-458B-8873-A45FD97CF6E4.jpeg

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Great looking Ashtons!

That's one gripe with Craig Ashtons, his X sizing is very inconsistent. You need to also consider pipe weight, when buying from the modern era.
Generally speaking, they’re right in that sweet spot, for me at least. But yea, if you were to go off of the “X” sizing alone, you might wind up with a pipe larger or smaller than intended! Lol

Seeleybc1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
Palmer AK
Ok so here’s my wife and my three handed extremely scientific precision pipe comparison and photography session…calipers?…
Anyways, holding them both up against a 90 degree surface, you can see that the xx is indeed just a little longer, maybe 1/8”, and the bowl just a mm or two taller!
Doesn’t mean much, but is interesting, none the less 1220EB2A-614B-4C16-97FD-AB53538A473F.jpegB8CD278B-AE91-4F22-B7CE-B83119EB7D90.jpeg

Professor Moriarty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2023
United States
oops, forgot to include this view of the Ashton.
Also forgot to mention my two lovely CHARATAN'S MAKE pipes.
Shortly after purchasing the new Ashton, I entered into a 10 year sabbatical -- during which I rarely smoked pipes (not sure why 😅). I am back to a pipe a day, now mostly filtered pipes. 9mm, like my glock 🔫
1712335526654.jpeg

Reactions: ssjones and PaulRVA