PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Took me forever to find one that spoke to me and like Al it's the only one in my stable a 1/8 bent Cauldron that smokes great.
9377194993_bc9ff54c5f_z.jpg

jdto

Might Stick Around
Nov 11, 2012
I had five, but a few have moved on to new homes.
These are the two I have:
From the Badger & Blade shaving forum POY

IMG_4498.jpg

Natural Bent Apple

IMG_4535.jpg

Sold these three bent apples:
IMG_4937_zpscefe5002.jpg

IMG_4943_zpsdd0f702a.jpg

IMG_4952_zpsb51bdcdb.jpg

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Mark Tinsky Blasted Stack Billiard

And here's something you don't see everyday, a rusticated prince by Mark's son, Glenn.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've said it before, but that hexagon-shaped calabash is one of the iconic shapes of American artisan pipes. Same with Nachwalter's freehand Dublin. Without seeing nomenclature or stem logo, you know right away who made that pipe.
Very nice Tinskys, gentlemen.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I wouldn't say photobucket is the easiest thing to use in conjunction with PM but it isn't really all that tough. There are instructions on one of the sticky folders at the top of the folders page.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Aren't all Tinksys $500 or less, or at least most? If so he does some great work for less. If so, why didn't get jack up his prices like most talented carvers and declare himself an "artisan."?

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
Aren't all Tinksys $500 or less, or at least most? If so he does some great work for less. If so, why didn't get jack up his prices like most talented carvers and declare himself an "artisan."?
a lot of the current pipe makers who call themselves artisans and ask silly prices will be long gone and forgotten while Mark is making great pipes at a reasonable price.

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013
ASPHorn-vi.jpg

Not a Tinsky, rather a beautiful, elegant horn by Curt Rollar. Beautiful dead centered straight grain on the sides
ASPHornFront-vi.jpg

And birdseye grace the front and back
This pipe was made by Curt Rollar in December of 1986 and sold for $150 when new back then. I picked it up, more like stole it, from SP.com a couple days ago for $160.

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013

Mark focuses on making pipes and getting them into the hands of pipe smokers. Currently a 5 star rated pipe can hit $700 of which you don't see many.
A Coral Carve finish of his begins at $175, those are less than half the price you see from many other Artisans for similar pipes. You have to keep in mind Mark makes a lot of pipes where other carvers don't make that many. Each pipe Marks begins starts out as a 5 star pipe, as he works on it flaws like a grain of sand may appear in the grain or the grain may washout. Mark will then decide to sand blast it or rusticate it and then price it accordingly. This is similar to other carvers.
Take a look at the pipe I just listed above, I would have paid at least $500 for that pipe today, it's that nice. I think a lot of folks, or in this case it was Curt, think Mark will be around forever, maybe he will. In any case he does make pipes that could sell for a lot more, for whatever reason, not everyone understands how to price these and many bargains are out there today. Both in his new pipes and on the estate market.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
This is an old American Pipe Co. Pipe. I do not know if Mark Tinsky actually carved it though. It's a very nice smoker, all the same.

BsLYt5QCWkKGrHqEOKjUEvYWm7I-NBL24hFfzpQ_3.jpg

tinpan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 17, 2013
Boy that's an early one, look at the stamp. So you see CR or MT initials anywhere?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
These two pipes completely changed the way I thought about pipes. I bought these a few years ago, up until that time I had mostly traditional shapes. These two pipes revealed to me the sculptural potential of a pipe. The sitter, Mark Tinsky Pristine 6 One Star, the bent is an eight sided Dublin carved by Curt Rollar in 1982.
tinsky-007-600x450.jpg

tinsky-016-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.