PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Where'd you find a Washington with a plug? None of my 6 Washingtons have one, but I'd love to have a few with plugs. Maybe I'll mod them one day if the bottoms get too eroded.
How old are your cobs? The gal I spoke to, said it was the washingtons that come with plugs. But that was maybe 7 years ago?

Reactions: Lumbridge

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Here's the bulk of my cob collection, with a few MM hardwoods as well. Some smoked, some yet unsmoked.
Several have been modded, such as the black painted, filtered Morgan with nickel band belonging to Mrs. Lumbridge. The Diplomat on the bottom-right is charred, on the bottom-left is a Zenonwarden with a MacArthur stem.
Yeah, I'm a weirdo - I prefer the stock plastic stems to acrylic. Easier on my teeth and jaw.
20231122_214342.jpg

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Where'd you find a Washington with a plug? None of my 6 Washingtons have one, but I'd love to have a few with plugs. Maybe I'll mod them one day if the bottoms get too eroded.
Nope, I was wrong. 5th Avenue Diplomat was what she was referring to that had a plug. But I had one of each at the time. And they both came with one. lol

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Here's the bulk of my cob collection, with a few MM hardwoods as well. Some smoked, some yet unsmoked.
Several have been modded, such as the black painted, filtered Morgan with nickel band belonging to Mrs. Lumbridge. The Diplomat on the bottom-right is charred, on the bottom-left is a Zenonwarden with a MacArthur stem.
Yeah, I'm a weirdo - I prefer the stock plastic stems to acrylic. Easier on my teeth and jaw.
View attachment 263698
I see some customization there. I like it.

Reactions: BenMN
Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
I initially thought this NOS, unsmoked Missouri Meerschaum pipe was from the 1970s, but something made me want to find out more about it before taking flame to it.

20240203_085033.jpg

I had not seen this sticker variant on pipephil.eu, so I wrote to Missouri Meerschaum to see if they had any info on this Churchwarden with its long, curved, bamboo stem.

20240203_091755.jpg

They wrote back to me today and told me it appears to be their “Grandpa B” from the 1950s, which retailed for fifty cents at the time. Here’s a catalogue page from a 1955 catalogue showing this model in the lower left corner, second from the left:

mm1955page8001.jpg

In light of this being from the ’50s and in unsmoked condition, I’m thinking I will leave it so, since it survived all this time (about seventy years!) unsullied. I have plenty of other cobs to smoke, but am unlikely to come across a virginal example of this vintage ever again.

BenMN

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2023
St. Paul, MN
I've been greatly enjoying my unfinished cob, which I belive is the "Missouri Pride" model
1000001377.jpg
As well as the finished "Washington" model
1000001342.jpg
Fantastic smokers. A friend at pipe club gifted the first one, and I'll admit to some initial skepticism.

I've now got 2 unsmoked clones of the Washington pictured above, waiting to be gifted out.