PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
I’ve been loving my IMP meerschaum and decided I would like to get another. I was looking for one with an open draw and it was said that IMP is drilled to 4mm. Great! My current IMP definitely draws well.

I looked around at the various dealers and decided to try Meerschaum Market. They had a pipe I really liked at a good price. Placed the order, it shipped on Monday and I received on Wednesday. Packed well and pipe looked great. I loaded it up and, we’ll, smoke wasn’t so great. I thought maybe I was a bit heavy handed with the load and loosened it up with a pipe cleaner. Still, not what I was hoping for.

After the smoke I cleaned the pipe out and reconsidered the airway. Definitely more restrictive than I expected. Compared it with my older IMP - not even close in ease of draw. Visual inspection also confirmed the airway was definitely smaller on the new arrival.

I hesitated then the next day decided to contact the dealer. Usually I’m an email guy but I decided to call. I spoke with Burak, who I believe to be the proprietor. He was very helpful. No, not all IMPs are drilled to 4mm. It depends on various factors but if a client isn’t happy he usually just drills the airway larger. Burak offered to send me a return label which got to me in time to send out that day. He turned the pipe around the same day he received it and it arrived to me today, nicely drilled to 4mm. What a difference! Thank you Burak!

TBH, I expected a bit of a fight when I had to explain that I wasn’t happy with the pipe I purchased after my first smoke. Burak was very pleasant and happy to help. He paid shipping 3 ways and I am not only quite satisfied with the pipe but am happy to recommend the service at Meerschaum Market.

Lesson learned - ask the vendor to double check the airway if there is any doubt and don’t be afraid to touch base with the dealer if you’re not satisfied. Not everyone will be accommodating (as we sadly know from experience) but hopefully you’ll be pleased more often than not.EAF5C519-F224-4DED-9409-604269210C03.jpeg

Jwebb90

Lifer
Feb 17, 2020
Ruse, Bulgaria
That's a great-looking pipe! I'm glad they were able to take good care of you. I was recently looking at an SRV at meerschaum market. Ultimately, I went with an Altinay. However, I did order a supply of the plastic screw in tenons from them for another meer of mine.