Shire Pipes (I Have Read Previous Threads But Was Curious If....) *Pictures Inside

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gandolf

Lurker
Dec 13, 2020
Hey there,

I've recently just moved over to having a smoke from pipes as it was suggested by a close friend of mine. In lieu, I went and purchased a "Shire Pipe" from Amazon but am having serious doubts about actually having a smoke from it, having read other articles and posts here.

I was wondering if there was any new information regarding this company, as the threads are quite a bit old. Some of my concerns are as follows:

- A black paint-like substance also known as a bowl coating. Without information on their website {which hardly exists) about what type of bowl coating they use, I am apprehensive about putting it into my lungs.
- The pipe description says cherrywood but I have my doubts about the actual wood type.

I apologize for being over-cautious but I am very picky about what I inhale and without proper description. Has anyone had experience with this brand? If not, I think I may opt for a custom pear-wood pipe off Etsy with no bowl coating.

Thank you for your time!

image_from_ios.jpg

image_from_ios-1.jpg

image_from_ios-2.jpg

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Ahh, well now I see. You just answered my question from your other thread in this one.

Bowl coatings are used to protect the bowl from the first few bowls until the pipe is broken in. That being said if you want to you can send it off until you hot bare wood. Some guys make their own bowl coating with honey and water or chocolate syrup or all sorts of stuff. Its up to you.

Would I smoke a cheap mystery pipe from the bowels of the internet? @Ahi Ka help him out here.

To start with pipe smoking just order a cheap cob pipe from one of our esteemed forum sponsors. Some pipes are just for decoration.

Hope this helps!

Gandolf

Lurker
Dec 13, 2020
Hello, first step in pipe smoking. Do not inhale into you lungs. Draw the smoke into your mouth. Not your lungs.

plenty here to read about the rest. And welcome.

Looks like I need have a look around. I smoke cloves and I suppose it is quite the same concept. I use it as meditative practice but as you stated, neither should be hitting the lungs. I mostly just enjoy the aromas and it gives me time to decompress!

Thanks for the response!

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Ah yes I see. As the resident hobbit I can concur that here in the actual shire we refer to said pipes as Ninny-hammers. I definitely wouldn’t smoke that noodle.

I agree with the suggestion of a cob (they have a LOTR inspired series if that’s your jam) or even potentially a clay if you are only smoking a small amount of cloves.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
It actually looks like real wood, I don’t see why it wouldn’t smoke properly... Just hearing about bowl coatings in a few threads, never seen one myself. I rub a little bit of olive oil into new bowls myself sometimes.

if you go on smokingpipes.com, pretty much any bent churchwarden pipe is a “shire” pipe, or similar, Yes I wouldn’t inhale, you puff and let the nic go through your mouth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Pear wood wouldn't be my recommendation if I was advising someone starting with pipes. Likewise the off-brand with the unknown coating. Start with an established brand briar pipe. You can buy Dr. Grabow briar pipes at Walgreens for under $40, and used for less. Or Kaywoodie. Or Rossi Vittoria. Don't hamper yourself by staring with an off-brand in a less durable wood.

smknron

Can't Leave
Sep 9, 2019
West Central Florida
I once bought a pipe that had a coating that was not very pleasing to the eye also but I re worked that pipe. If your unsure about it there are plenty of other options for pipes and I think a Missiouri Meershaum pipe would be a good starter pipe. Cob pipes are great smokers.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Bowl coatings are useless, but get used to them, because most pipes will arrive with them. I wouldn't sand them out but use a solvent on paper towels.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
bowl coatings are no big deal they do seem to work. Though I've never had a problem with uncoated bowls. You just smoke slowly (sip the smoke) and it has the same effect of making a pretty much even cake and not damaging the wood. I've had a few cherry wood pipes and you can tell if it has a really faint cherry like scent. When you smoke out of one it adds a very faint cherry flavor to the smoke which can be great or terrible depending on what you're smoking out of it. They really only like some blends. Light aromatics seem to be the best bet.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@Gandolf

Welcome to the forum! ?

If you just bought it, just return it to Amazon, no need to be bothered.

Just start out buying your pipes from SmokingPipes.com.

Missouri Meerschaum Corncob pipes are fantastic pipes, smoke as good as expensive pipes, and are also great to have in your Rotation.

They are also a great way to learn and experiment with tobacco!

SmokingPipes.com aka ‘SPC’ around here, seems to be out of a lot of them, you can also buy them direct from Missouri Meerschaum.

I have 3 Cobs, 2 with what are called ‘Forever Stems’, nice fancy looking acrylic stems, but also feel great in the mouth, you can buy at Vermont Freehand.

Here’s my Cobs and Happy Puffin! :)

21E32F00-9BD2-41E6-818B-2BFBA0BF36C2.jpeg

Reactions: chopper

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
I get the feeling that Gandolf wants a churchwarden pipe. Missouri Meerschaum has the cobbit line that would be a great choice. Some folks seem to really enjoy the MacQueen pipes which, while pricier than the Shire pipes, are more reputable and will have the look you might be going for!

Reactions: chopper

bent1

Lifer
Jan 9, 2015
WV
Iwan Ries, highly respected retailer, has this Aldo Velani for $37.00 on clearance.

1608087543516.png

• Wow
Reactions: LOREN and Casual

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I've got a Polish Pearwood Poker and it's a good smoker.

Bowl coatings are often made with charcoal but I got one Chinese made briar [Road Town] that had a toxic foul tasting coating so I sanded it back to bare wood.

+1 for MM cobs. Get yourself a Cobbit MM cob. Good smokers.

A U.S. Surgeon Generals report found that pipe smokers who inhale have the same life expectancy as a non-smoker. So suck that smoke into your lungs and enjoy.

As an inhaler I choose mild, mild to medium blends. Plenty from which to choose.
Stronger blends like plugs and ropes would choke a horse if inhaled so careful what you buy.