PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Could anyone with some experience with drilling the shank hole diameter for enlargement comment on the pros and cons of this. I have tried this on one pipe and it seems to produce a better easier draw allowing for effortless "sipping" and a more enjoyable smoke. Thanx for any ideas.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It has been mentioned from time to time....

Some suggest that you might try using a standard but not too oversized drill bit "turned by hand" carefully.
Disclaimer: Not my idea... I'm far from the expert.
:puffy:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Exactly right Lawrence! I have 5 different size dremils, just perfect for most any shank expansion. If a pipe smokes "wet", I find that using the dremil (or drill bit, by hand), makes the pipe smoke better. Almost all my estate pipes get the dremil tool during the clean up process.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
lazydog,
I've only had to open up the shank on one of my pipes, but on just about all the rest of them I've opened up the stem. If the draw is tight or the pipe smokes wet, it's usually the stem that's the problem. My first pipe, a Peterson bent bulldog, used to draw so bad I almost gave it away. I had leather-tongue, couldn't keep flakes lit, and just about hated that pipe. But after I chamfered the tenon and opened up the draft hole almost to the lip it smoked like a dream. Point being, I never had to do anything to the draft hole through the stummel/shank and the airflow is great.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Great info pitchfork. I have been thinking about doing this to one of my pipes as well.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
photoman,
you might have read Rick Newcombe's articles about airflow before, but I think he's generally right. More open is better, at least to a point. He even opens up his S Bang and Jess Chonowitsch pipes. I'm not a collector, so I'm all for making the pipe smoke the way you want it to.
If you want to open up the stem, just use a needle file or the saw blade from a tile saw (it's really a wire-shaped file) and file away. Don't worry about messing things up or being too perfect. It takes a little bit of time to remove the material you need to remove to increase the diameter of your stem. And just keep testing as you go. File a little bit and then test it out. Then file some more, as needed. When everything is just right, you can take a good draw on the pipe and not hear much of any sound. If you hear a whistle with your natural draw, then it's probably still too tight.
I also find that a good chamfer or funnel on the stem end helps airflow, too. While most pipe makers, if they chamfer the tenon at all, will make a straight-sided, cone-shaped funnel, I find that a more parabolic-shaped funnel lets the air flow more smoothly. (And if you're doing it by hand, you probably won't end up with a straight-sided funnel, anyway).
Hope this helps. Best of luck!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I have saved an article by Al Shinogle on "Opening a Pipe Draw" but can no longer find it online. I believe it was a NASPC article but can't find it on their site either. He contributes to articles here, so perhaps he will see this. If you want a PDF copy, send me a pm with your email address.
I saved a Taylor made Ashton Rhodesian I bought last year for my 50th birthday by opening up the draw with a bit, and dremel. The pipe would not pass a cleaner and smoked hot and wet. A little careful work resulted in a much better smoking pipe that I now enjoy (and I won't by another Taylor era pipe on the web...) With this kind of work, you'll be good to adhere to the adage of "measure twice, but once".
I can try and upload to GoogleDocs or similar as well.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I put the article in my online Drop-Box (wonderful program!) folder. Can you folks see it?

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/74716036/Opening_Pipe_Draw.pdf

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Good stuff in this thread. I first learned about the subject in Newcombe's book. After thinking about it some I agree that more open draw can be better. I've never modified any of my pipes but I seem to enjoy the ones that have larger diameter airways more than those that don't.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Downloads fine Al thanks!
That's a great little article. I like the statement at the end: "You will note that your puffs will be shorter, as the volume of smoke has increased." Shorter puffs = a cooler smoke which enhances the whole experience in many ways.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Cool, that program is very handy (also installed on my phone).
Opening the draw also requires less relights = less/no tongue bite.
Interesting, I don't like a real big draw (ie my Castello is probably a tad too open). I like a bent pipe to be able to pass a thin cleaner.

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Fantastic info on the subject. Much appreciated. Drier and cooler is what i am looking for. When that is better, perhaps the tobacco flavor is also improved. Maybe that is a cobbs forte, larger air passage. Thanx, and again this site is a continuing wealth of info. and is an enhancement to pipe smokin. :puffy:

tatanka

Lurker
Jan 2, 2011
What about a semi-curved stem, which was replaced by someone on one of the pipe forums (can't recall name now) and I appreciated it very much, since my original stem, purchased 1st ever pipe over 50 years ago! It remains my #1 pipe. But now the stem is very loose. I use bees wax but it doesn't last and twists constantly. I tried heating it once but couldn't keep flame away from the tenon tip, and was afraid of melting it or catching it on fire, so quit.
If I could EVER learn how to post pictures on my post, I'd post a photo of it. It NEVER has worked for me. I just am cursed by the electronic invisible goblins when it comes to accomplishing transfer and posting of photos on any forum!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Tatanka one solution to a loose stem.
Carefully warm up the tenon then (on a flat surface) carefully press down the end of the stem.

It only requires a minimal compression of the warm tenon.

If you happen to increase the circumference a little too much... then carefully sand it down and very little at a time until it's the correct size again.
Hope that helps... we gotta save those old and cherished friends.

:puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.